Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Republican president, Richard M. Nixon, presided over one of the most active regulatory periods of the last half-century, working with the Democrats who controlled Congress in the early 1970s. His legacy includes the Environmental Protection Agency, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and, for a time, wage and price controls.

Later in that decade, a Democrat, President Jimmy Carter, began the deregulatory era that has continued with notable breaks to the present. While people in both parties associate his Republican successor, Ronald Reagan, with making regulation a dirty word politically, it was the Carter administration that instituted cost-benefit analyses for new regulations and deregulated the airline, railroad and trucking industries.
NYT

This certainly goes against the urban myth that the democrats are regulation hungry while the republicans want hands off of corporate activities.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
people don't know what the hell they want.

They will scream about de regulation, then scream about the mess the market is in & how it we allowed it to get that way.

There is a fine line that needs to be walked, that line is just in between both parties ideals. BUT, hard line party followers, like you & RF are to frigging stubborn to see it.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
I guess homeland security was a throw away huh Jim.

Who here do you think agrees with everything Bush does he/she/it?

Actually jim, you're now an "urban myth"....
The only entity on TF that refuses to declare a gender and probably feels that's truthfullness.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Homeland security was only a small part in how GWB has grown government.
Take a look at medicare or how deep the government is now in private banking.
Look at what has happened to government spending during the last eight years or what has happened to the national debt during that same period of time. No democrat president ever increased spending as much. No democrat president ever increased freebies like medicare as much. No democrat president ever increased the debt as much (even during WWII). These are facts. No spin. Whoever you think I am, doesn't change any of it.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
The skirt makes me laugh.

You thinking it masks you rehetoric makes me sick.

I know few Republicans who agree with GWB's government expansions. You're broad brush pronouncements smack of your pecksniffian litigeous personality.

Can't cover that with a skirt!

·
Banned
184 Posts
A Republican president, Richard M. Nixon, presided over one of the most active regulatory periods of the last half-century, working with the Democrats who controlled Congress in the early 1970s. His legacy includes the Environmental Protection Agency, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and, for a time, wage and price controls.

Later in that decade, a Democrat, President Jimmy Carter, began the deregulatory era that has continued with notable breaks to the present. While people in both parties associate his Republican successor, Ronald Reagan, with making regulation a dirty word politically, it was the Carter administration that instituted cost-benefit analyses for new regulations and deregulated the airline, railroad and trucking industries.
NYT

This certainly goes against the urban myth that the democrats are regulation hungry while the republicans want hands off of corporate activities.
The Republican Party has way too much invested in that myth to let it go now. They'll keep parroting it as long as the ignorant masses keep buying it. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to end either. There seems to be no end in sight of stupid people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts