Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the Taco premium release clips and not totally happy with them. Many times, the clip becomes warped after a few good hits and takes some doing to reshape it to make it work again. Considering going to the roller type.

I'm thinking about the Rupp Nok-Outs.

Or the Aftco OR-2 Outrigger Release Clips.

What do you consider the best release clip?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Virtually every Charter boat in NC uses Aftco OR-1 (not OR-2) with a Blacks underneath for lighter gear.
Maybe this will help. There are pleanty that like the Rupps though

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have used the roller type and like them ,the only thing is the braided line will some times slip out from under the roller( nok-outs).I use them on my riggers when i run spreader bars and they have worked very well.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I like the Rupps Knockouts for the outriggers, they will pass a wind on swivel, the OR-1s won't. I use the OR-1s as flat line clips. Be careful with both, if you loosen them too much the knurled knob will back out and you'll loose it, the spring and ball. For light stuff like whites, I have the blacks under my knock outs.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Do Not Use The Aftco Or2 The Line Will Slide Down In A Crevice On The Side Of The Roller And Fray Or Break Off. Lost Two Big Eyes Last Year Because Of It....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like the Blacks because they are simple, cheap and a wind on goes through without the swivel hanging up if you are using one....

·
Registered
314 Posts
For tuna fishing--nothing better for my $ than Trip Eze. LOUD pop on the bite. easily adjusted & will hold heavy drag when needed.

for HEAVY gear with action--like lures & spreader bars--use the Nok Outs. will significantly reduce chaff & will not wear a groove in the clip like a Black's or Trip Eze will.

When I can rig the outriggers my way:
top clip--Trip Eze
2nd clip--Nok Outs
3rd clip--Blacks (useful for chunking too--seperating your weighted lines)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Mike I just changed out mine with Rupp Klickers. I attached swivels to the rigging lines to make change outs easier in the future incase of failure.

Klickers,
New easy-to-use Klickers provide maximum trolling performance for sport fishermen who demand the best. Designed for dragging a wide range of baits and lures, this clip offers the smoothest operation under any conditions. Precision designed, with a state-of-the-art release mechanism that allows passage of Bimini twist knots and double lines. Elegantly simple, new Klickers will enhance the trolling success of any sportfishing platform.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Installed the knockouts last Summer and They work great for me.Very highly adjustable that justifies the price.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Aftco will swap OR2's for OR1's. I did it last fall. The OR1's or Rupp Knockouts are the best. OR1 has the thumb screw tension adjust and they work great and stay adjusted where you put 'em.
Jim

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i had the aftco OR2s and the little plastic slider got stuck and wouldnt open the clip when a 30 pound tuna hit it and it bent my outrigger inside the spreader

I had the OR1s and the metal wheel that is used to tighten the rigger fell out on the way out one day so the clips were useless when we got there, they just loosened themselves up and fell out. I called aftco and told them about and they sent me a new pair but they were the or2s which in my opinion are worse.

the aftcos suck!!!!

now i use the rupp klicker and it is perfect

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mike I sold my Taco clips and never even used them. Since 2003 the Rupp Knock outs have performed great from bars to singles. If we did more marlin fishing I would add Blacks underneath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts