Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These big fish definately pose some dificulties while releasing. Whereas, I think all the fish we caught yesteday will have no problem and will live to be caught another day. I can only imagine what may happen when they get in the hands of a somewhat less experienced person. I am not knocking anyone but would like to post some advice that may be helpful. All the fish we caught yesterday, (6 total) were within the illegal slot limit 35-41", hence they had to be released. It is important for all who release their fish to not place his/her hand inside the gill plate. Their gills are extremely sensitive and can be damaged easily. These fish do not have any significant teeth but rather a sandpaper rough lip, which can be easily grabbed with a gloved hand. From my experience, the best way to release a fish without netting or boating it is to bring it to the side of the boat and grab the top portion of the lure head and the lip at the same time. Most times the hook can be pushed or turned out right there in the water. Bottom line is that the less time the fish spends out of the water the better. Lastly, use gloves the neoprene are the best and cheapest. Stripers have an insulating slime that helps in body temperture insulation and regulation. It is important to not handle them with bare hands and or towels.

Again, I do not want to piss off any of you who are accomplished anglers and are used to to catch and release. This is only ment to aid the newcomers and as some helpful advice. I will be out hopefully later midweek if Tristate can repair my bopat. Forgot to mention that it took us two hours to limp back in form the radar towers to Deale-I love this stuff.

The Gooch

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well said Gooch! Another point to throw in, never suspend these big fish to be released up by the lip for pictures! Use the gloves mentioned above and support the fish from the underside and the bottom lip... evens the weight distribution and allows the angler more control to prevent the fish from harmful movements and doesn't stress the spine as much.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whatever dude! :eek2:

Capt. Bryan Wentworth
Notorious Sportfishing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts