Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about three years ago I bought everything needed to reload all my own custom ammo. Well back then I was working long hours and never really did more than take the stuff out of the boxes. Now it's been three years and I now have a two y/o daughter who takes up alot of my free time and even most of my fishing time these days. Now I'm sitting here looking at this stuff trying to figure out what to do. I've got a pile with every gadget RCBS makes and a Rockcrusher press with powder and bulletts and dies and all kinds of ****. Since I've never really done it can I learn quickly and streamline the process enough to fit it into my schedule? Or is it so time consuming I'd be better off just selling all the stuff?

EDIT-I put and ad in the marketplace section. Please check it out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you're seriously going to be in a big hurry every time you sit down to reload, you probably shouldn't get involved. It's not difficult, but you definitely have to keep your mind on what you're doing every time, all of the time. Otherwise, you can end up with no powder charge (bullet stuck in the barrel) double powder charge (blown up gun), etc., etc. Plus, in the beginning, it's going to take a lot of experimenting and changing the recipes to come up with "your" perfect load.
If you're willing to invest the time it's a great hobby.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was my plan back then but lately I just really don't have the time. I've also noticed that the performance of premium ammo has almost made it uneccessary to reload unless you are shooting in competiions. I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullett and put the stuff up on ebay. I just hope I don;t regret it in a few years when I've got more time to play.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Unless you're in dire need of the money, put the stuff back in storage. Press, dies, powder measure, brass, bullets will never go bad and the price to replace them later will be much higher. You probably don't want to hold onto powder and primers for any extended length of time, but everything else will be just like new!
H*ll, my progressive shotgun reloader if from the sixties, works just like it always did, can even still get powder bushings and some parts.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Russ,

If you have the time reloading can be fun and save a fair amount of money assuming you go to the range occasionally.

If you only hunt a bit and never go plinking or target shooting you should buy premium ammo and give all your gear to me!

Not really. Just the components![excited]

I've had a Rockchucker for 20+ years and reload .223, .243, .25-06, and .30-06. It makes going to the range more relaxing since I am not worried about the $$$ going downrange.

David

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before my daughter was born I'd be at te range 2-3 days a week. I was buying about 6 new rifles a year and prolly firing somoehwere between 4 and 5 thousand rounds a year downrange. Alot of that was .22 ans .223 but also alot of higher power suff. Nowadays I have'nt been to the range sice it was really really cold out and have'nt been whistlepig hunting in over a year. Although I miss it most of my free time is spent fishing. Since I prefer fishing to hunting and shooting I think it's gonna have o to get put on hold for now. I think I'm gonna sell everything if anyones interested. Guess I'll post on the for sale section in TF first.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the Tf marketplace Other section.

·
Registered
292 Posts
David C,
Bmail me what you specifically you are looking for.

I got a whole bunch of reloading stuff that I do not use anymore. Just got to get motivated to crawl up in the attic and get it out.

BC

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure Crow, what would you like me to ship first? The TIkka master sporter in 22-250? or The Remington VLS in .243? or the Browning medallion In 25-06? How bout the Bushmaster Varminter?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Maybe you should hold on to all your goodies for a while longer. Your 2 y/o/D may end up with a love of shooting at a young age if introduced her when you think she is ready. Be nice to share with her if she ends up where she likes shooting and maybe reloading to go with it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hold on to that stuff, I was in the same boat you're in... I now enjoy time spent with my kids reloading shot shells and other ammo... They love it and we learn together.... Just another task I have that allows me to spend time with them and they love to shoot....... My kids can load our .223 ammo better than I can :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts