Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving from the chesapeake bay region of MD to Jacksonvile, FL in two weeks. I love fishing on the bay and am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of Jax.

Is there anyone on this board that is from the area? I would love to hook up for some trips to learn the area if possible. If not, any info on inshore and nearshore fishing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello....and I guess Welcome to J-ville.....Soon?

Here's my info: (I have reports in the archives here too, I just started doing reports again here.)

www.captdaves.com - recent catch pics, daily report forum, and of course my monthly/bi-weekly report, like the ones I put up here on tidal fish.

If ya need some info, or help if I can without giving away my penned up stock of fishez, just e-mail me from my web site.

We have two clubs in town also.
one is the INSHORE SALTWATER ANGLERS
and the other is the, JACKSONVILLE OFFSHORE SPORTFISHING CLUB. BOTH ARE GREAT PLACES TO MEET FOLKS.
Besides having a cold one at B&M Bait & Tackle in Mayport. Thats where I fish out of, Mayport. Closest ramp to lake Atlantic.

Remember we have NO BAYS here. Just one long skinny river.
So expect things to be different.

Last year a guy named MONEY SHOT moved to Ponte Vedre Beach from Maryland, I met him here on this board. Saw him ONE TIME at our inlet (my second home) and never saw him again? Hmmm....
And another fella George Pieper I met here on this board. Now he's a regular-ish customer of mine, and he joined the offshore fishing club too. Had him out twice to catch some BIG Redfish.

So as you can see, I'm not a rookie to meeting some good folks from Tidalfish. The earth sems really small sometimes, huh?

I thought ole Ancient Mariner was coming this way too, haven't heard from him.

Either way checkout my daily reports and recent catch pics, they can help ya out or at least get a drift on things, maybe.

Hope the move goes well,

Capt. Dave Sipler's Sport Fishing
www.captdaves,com
904-642-9546
e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Capt. its great to hear from someone local. I just got down from Maryland Sunday night and have been trying to settle in the house with the wife and dog. Probably won't have much time for fishing in the upcoming weeks but I hope to start getting invovled towards the end of August.
The info on the clubs is great, that will be a nice place to get started. I currently have my boat sitting at NAS Jax but am not sure if i will keep it long-term there, or in the Manderin area which is where I am living.

I hope to learn a lot about the area and do some river and near shore fishing from my boat but will look to the big boys to go any distance offshore.

I will look you up when I am ready for my first trip.

Thanks again for posting a reply and I look forward to meeting you someday soon.

Jim

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
HI:
Yeah, I finally made it down to Florida. My grandson is in UMATILLA Fl.SWMBO and I are baby sitting my grandson for a while, then up to J-VILLE for me. Hope to 1.) get out with you a.s.a.p. or finally move up later.
WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Foster, there's so much fishing in the river it's rediculas.

I gave up offshore fishing myself and just concentrate on the river/inlet's/beach.

To perfect ones fishing area, you need to make it your backyard.

So thats what I've done.

Alrighty then, just remember to stop by my web site if:
-you're needing river/inlet fishin' info
-Mayport weather by the hour.
-like to see smiling faces holding pretty fishez, before they turn into fillets!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jim Foster (have I got that right?)

Welcome to Jacksonville from Maryland. I made the change a year and a half ago from Edgewater. I had fished the Bay for 26 years and brought a l6' ARIMA with me. It's stashed in the Jacksonville Marina next to the ferry slip in Mayport. You are quite a ways upstream on the St. Johns river in Mandarin and may want to keep your boat near there and fish there. If you want to try the mouth of the river, call me and we can split a charter with Dave Sipler, who is a good guide. Or you can just come with me in September or later. I say September because it gets really hot out on the water in June, July, and August. I've had a couple of bad times with the heat and so stay off the water in the summer months here. The saving grace is that there is no winter break. We fish right through December, January and February. I do live on a seven acre lake that has some very nice large mouth bass and fish it most every day either before sun up or after sun down. I got a 21 inch 4 1/4 pounder last night.

I can tell you something about the fishing clubs, too. When you get settled, email me at [email protected] or call 904-246-7522. Also, if there is any chance you might want to use the Jacksonville Marina (where my boat is), let me introduce you. We both get a deal out of that.

Welcome to JAX,

George Pieper (the lure depth guy)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jim Foster (have I got that right?)

Welcome to Jacksonville from Maryland. I made the change a year and a half ago from Edgewater. I had fished the Bay for 26 years and brought a l6' ARIMA with me. It's stashed in the Jacksonville Marina next to the ferry slip in Mayport. You are quite a ways upstream on the St. Johns river in Mandarin and may want to keep your boat near there and fish there. If you want to try the mouth of the river, call me and we can split a charter with Dave Sipler, who is a good guide. Or you can just come with me in September or later. I say September because it gets really hot out on the water in June, July, and August. I've had a couple of bad times with the heat and so stay off the water in the summer months here. The saving grace is that there is no winter break. We fish right through December, January and February. I do live on a seven acre lake that has some very nice large mouth bass and fish it most every day either before sun up or after sun down. I got a 21 inch 4 1/4 pounder last night.

I can tell you something about the fishing clubs, too. When you get settled, email me at [email protected] or call 904-246-7522. Also, if there is any chance you might want to use the Jacksonville Marina (where my boat is), let me introduce you. We both get a deal out of that.

Welcome to JAX,

George Pieper (the lure depth guy)

·
Registered
20 Posts
See....I told ya I knew George Pieper!

And imagine that, here he pops up again.

George you failed to mention how "lucky" or "good" you were on our trips.

If ya want to see some amazing feats of angling, just fish with George. I don't know if I had anything to do with it, ( I think I did though).

As in bringing a 27" Redfish back over the rock jetty it just swam over with out loosing it.
And......
While catching big spawner Redfish on live Croakers, George happens to be reeling in one while bait fishing and gets hooked up with a 20 pounder just before pulling the bait from the water.
(Redfish ain't know for coming 25 feet off the bottom to eat a bait!) But Georges was gobbled!!

And remember George, NO BANANAS! [wink]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ancient,

When ya find those giant Doormat Flounder, let me know!

Last week I had a 6 pounder...while Speckled Trout fishin'.

Prior to that my largest so far in 2005 was a 4.5 pounds.

I think "up yonder" may have bigger flatties than we do here(?)

I only catch mine while speck fishing, most of the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks George, that's a great offer. My name is actually Jim Mohler, Foster is just my board name, named after a chesapeake bay retriever I had a long time ago.

I am still getting settled, and have two business trips in the upcoming weeks so probably won't see any fishing until September anyway. In the meantime i will keep in touch and want to make a trip up to Mayport to see the area and maybe hit that bar Capt. Dave was talking about.

I am currently keeping my boat at the NAS but haven't decided its final resting place yet. Most likely near me for the convience but i hope to fish the inlet on occasion and would love to schedule a trip with you and Capt. Dave once i have time.

Thanks again for the response and i will keep in touch.

Jim

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
HI Cap'n Dave:
6 pounder is NOT exactly a small Flounder in any ones book.
Let's see.....mmmmmm 6 pounds at 8 bucks a pound live weight is a nice bunch of change. Thats what that fish of yours would have gotten for the restaurant trade up North. I'm glad you need a commercial license down here to sell them.
You and I have got to get together for some of your Weakfish and Fluke fishing. BOY! You can tell I'm from up North. Ok..Ok..Ok.., Seatrout and Summer Flounder. Can't wait to hookup with you. Maybe if some of you transplanted Northern boys want to share a day on the water with Cap'n Dave, let me know. I'm fixin to take some time off to do a lot of fishing.
WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Joe aka the Ancient Mariner --

I'll be glad to join you for a charter with Dave Sipler. You have my email and phone number above in this thread. I'll be interested when the weather cools a little in September, but call me in any case. May we can make it a threesome with Jim Mohler aka Foster. Dave's boat will handle three people.

George.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts