Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a brand new Remington 700 XCR in 300 Ultra Mag [grin] ARRHH, ARRHH, ARRHH! Figured it was time to start working with a Magnum to ready for future hunts out West one day.

If any of you guys on the Board use one, can you give me some feedback on loads - what have you tried? Factories? Hand-loads? Any info would be appreciated. Looks like it takes a little searching to find rounds. So far, I think the Remington Premiers in 180-Grain Swift Scirocco Bonded Bullet look like a winner.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I got a ultra mag too but it is the .338 just a tad bigger!. I love it people says it kicks but i think a 12 guage slug gun still kicks more than it does. both the 300 and 338 have a few rounds if you reload you can get a more divirse setup. I would use the 180 grain it will be very effecient on elk and long range deer congrats on the new gun! A guy can not have to many!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, Phil! You are correct, a man cannot safely exercise his Constitutional Right to Bear Arms enough. I will be looking forward to watching what this gun can do to a big whitetail, too. Nice to know that it probably won't rip my shoulder off. My 12ga w/ slugs and my Knight .50 Disc Extreme kick harder than anything else I've ever shot - and that's pretty dang hard - so, I'm used to it. Ballistics on the Ultra Mags are incredible. They really got that one right. Best of luck to you this season!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've shot a black bear and a whitetail with mine! it did not tear up to much meat went through the front shoulder and on through, not much meat there anyway, deer moved 18" straight down. The bear was at a baited site in Maine shot through the heart and both lungs did not go anywhere except to the taxidermy shop. Now going to Newfoundland for a moose and caribou hunt in October, this is why I bought the gun last year so I could use it last fall and over the summer to get use to it. I really like it except for the price of 44.00 a box for shells that is why I'm reloading the ammo now for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts