Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this rifle? I shouldered a few of the different model 700's last weekend and really liked the way this one felt. I am leaning towards a .308 caliber; but still considering 270 WSM and 7mm-08.

I'm going to go shoulder and feel out the Browining A-bolts as well.

I don't hunt any rilfe counties in MD currently, so it will be mostly used for a week trip I take up to PA each year. Tough terrain, mountains, lots of hiking/driving deer, not many real far shots, etc.... so basically, I'm looking for lightweight, short(er) barrel length, and nothing too cumbersome. I surely won't be sitting in some box stand on the edge of some 400 yard wide open field...

Any experience out there with the 700 SPS or other 700 models? I haven't been able to find the 700 Mountain (SS, DM or otherwise).

FWIW, I do like the DM option where its available (detachable magazine).

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If you choose the .270, stay with the standard not the WSM. I have heard of some premature wearing in the breech area with these newer magnums.

If you're not taking long shots the .308 is way overkill. Hell, my Savage .270 will punch a 1.5" hole through a shoulder with 150 gr bullets.

The standard .270 is good out to 300 yards if need be, ESPECIALLY on deer.

Just my .02.

Chris

Remington makes a nice gun, I am partial to Savage, but the Remingtons are very nice. Both very accurate but the Remington is "prettier" and you pay for it. The Savage isn't refined but accurate as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Go with a confidence gun, get the Browning A-Bolt and you wont be sorry with its performance or accuracy. I have been shooting my A-Bolt with the BOSS in 270 Win for 12 years and it has out performed and is more comfortably when shouldered then any rifle I own or have in the past. The fit and finish of the A-Bolt is meticulous, go to a gun shop and check them out before you purchase one of the others. Get ready for me to get blasted because it’s made in Japan but this rifle is what the US companies wish they had designed because it’s used by so many professional hunters and they can’t get the advertising.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
KJR

You're right the Browning A-Bolt is a beautiful gun and shoots very well. When I bought my Savage I wasn't concerned with aesthetics, only performance. I looked at the A-Bolts then, it was right when they first came out and I was blown away by the fit and action of the bolt and the overall finish and quality. But, they were almost twice the price of the Savage with comparable (Not better) accuracy.

My .270 model 110 (Almost 20 years old) loaded with 150 gr bullets punches 1 1/4" groups with standard Winchester Super X ammo. Any tighter than that and you're splitting hairs and spending money you don't need to. Shooting some of the hotter and more precise loads of today, there is little doubt in my mind you could get those groups to 1" maybe better.

Chris

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought my son a youth Model 700 SPS in .243 and it's been great so far. Easy to handle and extremely accurate. He shot his first deer with it this year which happened to be an 8-point. Took the top of the heart right off. Good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Any of todays guns will do the job on deer. If you want a long action go with the standard 270 if you want somthing short got with the 270 WSM or the 7mm-08. That 7mm-08 is one bad puppy, if your not in need of a beanfield rifle I would go with that one. You will be able to kill deer to 300 yards. Most people I know can't hardly see a deer that far let alone make a clean kill. Remember what ever caliber you chose practice, practice, practice go to the range when you get a chance. Good luck and safe hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts