Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 40 hp Johnson,having trouble for the first time.I think its the power pack.before I make it worse I would like to take it to a good reliable repair shop. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its only firing on one cylinder, but at WOT it seems to catch and will take off.Then all of sudden its back to running slow again. I took out the plugs one at a time and one sparked and the other did not. Should I get the wheel puller out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
no need to pull the wheel. it sounds like a problem with the power pack or coils. start simple. try new spark plugs. next try cleaning the ground wire connection on the pack. if you know someone else with that engine ask to borrow their power pack and try it out. that is most likely what the problem is. i haved a 97 175 that is on its 2nd and an 85 30hp that just got its 3rd. the only problem is you cant return it to a parts shop if that turns out to not be the problem.

keep us posted

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Croakerpoker,the power pack is located under the flywheel on this one. I did some research and the replacement is totally different from the original. The new one has a pick up unit where the PP used to be and the new PP comes with a mounting bracket that you put in using the water jacket screws. Also it has a new charge coil. I'm learning alot.Guess I'll get into it next week. As far as new plugs,that was the first thing I did.Have you ever heard of this type of upgrade.Is it an improvement?

·
Registered
140 Posts
no i havent, that sounds like a pain in the a$$. i guess they are just trying to standardize parts for as many models as possible. good luck.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I went through this last week on an 88 200 Johnson.Here's how to check the power pack & coil.Assuming your plugs & plug wires are good.I used a plug tester to check the spark .Take the wire that comes from the power pack to the suspected bad coil and switch it with the other wire from the good coil.If you now get a good spark from the bad plug & no spark from the good plug...it's likely the power pack.if you don't get a spark from the bad plug it's probably the coil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, switched the wires and now the good plug has no spark and the bad one does. Must be the power pack,its the only thing left,I think..Ordered one from boatfix.com .. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts