Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****...I was loading one of my LTJ sticks into the rod rack and broke a guide clean off. If it was the tip, I would just replace it with one I can get from BPS or any number of tackle shops. However, this is a guide about 12" down the rod from the tip.

I don't have a replacement guide and the tools to wrap one on and rotate it while the epoxy hardens.

Where can I get this rod fixed locally (e.g. Annapolis, Baltimore, DC area)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the OCEAN PRO shop on rt 13 De. Those guys replaced an eye on a St. Croix Surf Rod i had , best of all it was less than $10. Probably any good tackle shop will do the job. The eye wasn't an exact replacement but you can't tell the difference.
Mine was damaged by the kids closing the pickup tail gate.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Anybody got PMike's contact info? He could probably wrap it up for you and match it up real well...

Nevermind, here we are, try this...Mike Naylor at (410) 260-8652.

Mike is a DNR guy who does the SAV work, he's the grass man, he does good work on grass and rods...I don't know how busy he is, but give him a buzz. Don't tell him I sent you, he'd probably charge you more...

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
first say to the wife...Honey?...do you know I USE ST CROIX RODS????

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I'd say George Pavlik could do it up. He's near Fort Smallwood Elementary/Pasadena

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you're not a freak about the cosmetics needing to be a perfect match it's pretty simple to get the wrapping thread & do it yourself by hand if you only need to do one guide. You can roll the rod by hand for the epoxy.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tie my own flies, repair my own reels, and yes, I could probably wrap and epoxy another guide onto the rod.

But right now with the little wooden boat upside down on the trailer getting a new bottom, then getting stripped, stained and 7 coats of marine spar varnish, I don't need any more tasks. The winds blew some flashing off the side of the roof and loosened two window shutters, and my "honey-do" list is longer than my arm. That doesn't count my wishes to go fishing in the Parker with my friends. Time. It is all about time. Right now I have $$$ to pay someone to fix this, but no time to do it myself.

Thanks for the input and tips.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
A fews years ago we were flattie fishin at Cape Charlie and had one break on me.This rod was one of my favorites a Loomis 7` that I had built a few years earlier.A casting rod with 12 SIC guides.Damn thing broke right between the last two guides.Anyway Butch had one of them repair tip kits with 3 or 4 different sized guides a one of these suckers was a perfect fit except hardloy and gold.It is still on there I figured that it is good karma.Getting back to your broken guide,if the guide is not damaged it isn`t hard to fix it your self all you need is some thread and finish and no other special equiptment,except a tea cup and phone book to hold the thread and put some tension on it.I usually check and fix my rods on those cold winter nights.This is the method I use to fix a guide or two instead of setting up my rod lath/wrapper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.