Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use for replacement hooks on StingSilvers, Hopkins, etc.? I have replaced them with single hooks but the eye is a little small for the split ring.

For size I use a 3/0 for most of them.

Any help is appreciated?

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
3/0 or 4/0 Siwash style hooks . You can buy them with open eye and you can get them pre-dressed with bucktail , feathers or fish hair .

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree with Mr Rose's advice! VMC Siwash 9171PS open eye or 9170PS closed eye hooks are what you want to use. They're 3X strong, and saltwater plated. :thumbup:

I also up grade my split rings to an extra heavy stainless version, that are sized like regular split rings so they fit the same size lure eyes or hole in the spoons. ;-)

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigJim where do you get your split rings?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Since my source is not a sponsor & I don't want to cause a problem I'll send you a PM with the info!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Would the Siwash hooks work well as replacements on topwater plugs?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
This is a good thread Jerry- I am in the market for quite a few replacement hooks of various sizes. My grandfather gave me a box of Huntington Drone and Tony spoons from back in the day that are in great shape but need new hooks. Anything from #13 - #21 Tony. Does anyone have a good source? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, a lot of surf guys use them to replace trebles on the rear of lures, even on topwater lures, and they're frequently sparsely dressed with some bucktail.

I've replaced the rear trebles on big poppers, like the knuckle-Heads & some big megabait poppers but never tried the VMC hooks on small topwaters. I have however used Gamakatsu siwashs on Pop'Rs & Smack-it's but for the most part stick with trebles. The Gammies I have are lighter wire hooks. Never tried it on Spook type topwaters.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Here's a good source for finding hook model numbers when needing replacements. Find the model number you need, then do a Google search or contact VMC or the lure manufacturer to find a source for the hook.

VMC INC - Replacement Hook Manual

1 - 11 of 11 Posts