Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have twin 2002 225 optis.Both HC5345 cylinders are leaking fluid on the ends.
My question is should I replace the seals.The kit cost $100 for each cylinder.I can buy the new cylinder on line for ~$450 each.
I have been told to replace seals from one dealer and get 2-3 years and another dealer said that would be a waste of time and money.They would still leak with new seals.It's hard to get the new seals from leaking.
Anybody had luck with the seal kit?

Thanks
Jeff
"Sea-Ya"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Notice the seals seemed to leak after layup. I bought the seal replacement kit, came with everything needed to do the job. Far as I know there are no more leaks.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
Here's an old school trick - trouble shooting tip.

Try very gently heating the cylinders with a hair dryer. Have a helper turn the wheel left / right slowly.

Sometimes it is just grit in the seal that causes a leak. Cold temperatures make the seal shrink.

Heating the cylinder and moving it can fix the problem. I've seen seals leak the first hour or two of the season - then be fine.

Worth a try - only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Mine starting leaking this winter during layup. I replaced them with one of their kits and all seems fine now. I agree with what others have said about cold weather causing them to shrink, but they did not leak last winter. The seal replacement should work, so long as the cylinder rods are not damaged. They should be nice and smoooooth. If you decide to replace the seals yourself, be sure to buy some extra fluid and their handy-dandy refill accessory that screws right into your helm reservoir. There are some pretty cool You Tube videos out there to help
get you started. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
replaced mine last winter. they did not leak at all last season, or during layup this winter. had to remove the old seals with a pipe wrench. they were stuck on there pretty good. started to damage the wrench that comes with the replacement kit.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I did mine in 2007. I spray corrosion x on the steering rod every few months and it's been fine since.

When replacing the seals, you'll find that the end pieces may have corrosion. soak them well with Kroil or PB Blaster, and rig a windlass similar to the below to provide a steady pull. Be patient, and resist the urge to break out a hammer!

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Fender

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just had my seals replaced by Bob at Hudson Marine (Kent Island). I highly recommend Hudson Marine. I am very pleased with the results! Their turnaround time was fast (<2 days) and their service was reasonably priced.

I too noticed a slow leak from one of the seals around the end of last year. When I cut the shrinkwrap off 2 weeks ago, the steering had a little bit of play in it. Not anymore, Bob put in new hydraulic fluid and purged the system. It's now tight and responsive.
Good luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I like your idea paxfish if it is stuck.
I'm going at it next week with the new seal kits.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
PAXFISH Wrote....
When replacing the seals, you'll find that the end pieces may have corrosion. soak them well with Kroil or PB Blaster, and rig a windlass similar to the below to provide a steady pull. Be patient, and resist the urge to break out a hammer!

This part was my biggest headache. Have the PB Blaster ready, or better yet, soak those four tie-ends real well the night before. I like Pax's Corrosion X suggestion. I use it on everything else and will start using it on my steeering rods weekly.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well, if you use it frequently, you don't need to spray it down weekly. A thin film of hydraulic oil from working the steering will protect the piston rod for quite a while.

If you're laying up for a month, spray it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the first winter of using mine the seals blew.local dealer was no help, got the kit and it lasted one year. second winter the seals blew again. took the cylinder to benz hydraulics in wilmington and they put their seals in and they have lasted three years. cant remember the details but i believe they were cheaper than the kit price

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replacing the seals is easy job that most anyone can do in a afternoon. Before you invest in the seal kit make sure the rods have no pits or score marks. If you can snag a nail in a groove in one of the rods then it is bad and will need to be replaced with a new unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts