Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Lynnhaven yesterday thinking it would be to much wind for me to run from Wallace's, figured I could just stay up close land near CH and be okay. I got out of the inlet around 7am heading to CH but to many birds working near the nets to go by and not try some C&R. Caught a 38" and a couple more smaller. Birds dispursed so around 8:30 went on up past the Light House to find about a hundred other boats. I messed around about thirty minutes did not see any birds, no one hooked up and figured it would only get more crowed so I decided to try to run to Smith Island if it did not get to rough away from the land. As I got close to 4a I could see few birds a couple of miles up, when I came up on them I realized they were over whales chasing food. I did get a few pictures but they do not show much.

After watching them for a while I went a few miles north of Cape Charles Light and saw plenty of birds. They were diving and I could see plenty of bait but did not catch anything. Water was shallow less than 20 feet. I decided to go out a little deeper and tried for about an hour but could see a massive flock of Gannets diving south and in shore so I had to go check it out. I ran outside the flock and stopped were they would come over me for some casting. Incredible sight watching them dive but not even a strike. A post by Dr Allen earlier explained when the water is that shallow the birds can see the bait without the fish under them chasing the bait up. That is what I experienced. It was around 12:30 so I figured I would go back to CH and give it a try. Had a friend call me that was not able to go and told him other than the C&R the fish catching was a bust. As I am heading back near 4A I see a couple of boats drifting eels so I decided to try the six eels I had brought with me. I had one pole on the boat rigged with a float from an earlier trip so I put that out and went to rig my other poles and had left my other hooks at home, so I took a Chesapeake Bay shad and ripped off the body and lead to use the hook. I only had six eels so I figured 2 lines would be good to test the water. From 1:30 to 3:30 when I ran out of eels it was steady. I caught around 12 fish and 2 sharks. One time I had the pole in the rod holder with the eel in the water pulling out line and securing the float and 36" fish hits the eel and takes off. It ended up being a great day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I went ot of Back River Sunday and made the run across to CH and had a good day. Wasn' to rough going across or comming back, I don't think the wind got quit as high as predicted. If you need someone to go if going alone give me a call, 850-3269 I'm off Gosnold Hope Park on the canal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was up towards ship shoal inlet on sunday also. The amount of birds diving was simply incredible at times. You could hear the flocks of birds plunging into the water from the distance. It was a pretty awesome sight. When I first saw that I thought it was going to be wide open, but didn't see any quality fish marks either and kept catching a LOT of dogfish.

We ended up at the hirise catching and releasing some real nice fish. You're right though, the weather turned out to be beautiful and the waves didn't really kick up. Nice job on the catch.

Matt

·
Registered
678 Posts
What a great post and nice pics.
I really like your boat. Is that a 19 or 20?
I have the 2005 180cc Sea Pro (3-c's) that I bought in March of '05 and love it, although I already feel I need a bigger boat for the bay and the kids.

I heard there was a decent bite around 4A area all weekend.

WTG!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a great post and nice pics.
I really like your boat. Is that a 19 or 20?
I have the 2005 180cc Sea Pro (3-c's) that I bought in March of '05 and love it, although I already feel I need a bigger boat for the bay and the kids.

I heard there was a decent bite around 4A area all weekend.

WTG!
It is an 18" bought in 2003. I know what you mean about wanting a bigger boat. Another foot in the back and a few more inches on each side would be nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts