Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, maybe quite a bit south of the chesapeake......the bite was on today (wednesday). only two problems: one, i was by myself (none of my deadbeat friends know how to set an alarm clock) and two, the bait guy could only give me one dozen, when i wanted two (hopefully my wife doesn't read this, since i'm only "pre-approved" for one dozen).......anyway, i get the bait, and race off, since the bite was "on."......arrive at the hillsboro inlet bridge, to just miss the opening. lowering my outriggers is a royal pain, and darn near impossible when by yourself. so i figure i'll just wait for the next opening, in 15 minutes. well fifteen minutes comes and goes with no bridge opening. the bridge tender wasn't going to open just for me, since i should have been able to lower my gear. i was sure a larger boat would request an opening, but i was wrong. did i mention that the bite was "on?" finally, a few large charterboats came by, and the bridge tender opened up. i snuck thru, and raced up the beach to the "hotspot."..... i was putting out the first line, when a sailfish takes it before i can get it in the outrigger. he jumped off quickly(angler error)......got two baits out on the outriggers, and was setting out a flat line, when one of the outrigger baits gets nervous. so i set the flat line down even though it was only out about 15 feet. well, the outrigger line pops free, and i'm hooked up. immediately, the flat line gets antsy, and it takes off. so i put the first rod down, and hooked up the second fish. then all hell broke loose! fish jumping every which way. naturally, the lines crossed, and one line snapped. so i get the other fish to the boat, and he pulls free as i was trying to get the hook out......get the lines back out, and the kingfish start their assault. when you target kingfish, you can never find them. but, when you're after sailfish, the kings are everywhere.... i start getting nervous because i'm getting low on bait. with two baits on the riggers, and only two left in the baitwell, the lines start twitching again. just what i didn't want to see - another double header!
i had no chance. they both jumped off pretty quickly. i couldn't keep a tight line line on two rods, and maneuver the boat. should have just fought one of the fish, but i got greedy. oh well. put the last two baits out, and the kings got em within 30 seconds. started fishing at 8. back at the dock at 10:30.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts