Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at the second bridge, windy, tide going out. I swung up the main stream and paddled up past the bridge about 1/2 mile. The stream makes a left hand turn and there is a major sandbar to fish from. I caught several "neds" using small plastic grubs on 1/8 lead heads. I have to add using light braided line is a must, no missed hits. Over the winter two large pine trees have blocked the main part of the stream. You can make a short portage to get around the blockage. I made a slow drift back to the rt 234 bridge stopping at all the snags and picking up more neds. I had the whole upsteam to myself what a beautiful day. As I approached the bridge the shore anglers were catching neds. I continued towards the Cedars and stopped at a large hole where stream empties out into the tidal area. The current was running hard. Had to switch to 1/4 oz round leadheads with a paddle tail grub with smelly jelly. The water temp is 35 to 39 degrees, still a little cold. This last hole is where all the females were holding. Easily 1 female for every 2 casts. With the cool water temp you have to make slow a retrieve bouncing the jig along the bottom. No egg masses yet.

BTW the wind and tide combination blew all the water out at the second bridge, had to walk the last 300 yds towing the yak. My back is killing me. I'll post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi, excuse my inexperience, but what are neds?

I went to Wayons on the Patuxent for a few hours on Sat, but nothing was biting.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks for the report! Chesapeakeblend (Mike) and I are going to give a try on Sunday. We'll let you know how we do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts