Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on one of 250-plus (maybe 500-plus) boats off of Cape Henry today.

For most of the day it was a steady, every 20 to 30 minute, bite.

We started out at Rudee and turned left as we left the jetties. We got to the green can CJ Bouy area to see, along with 150 other boats breaking birds. For a while it was a steady bite with our trolling outfits, umbrellas, stretches, shad-raps. Got a few nice fish and released most to fight another day. One 30 inch fish committed heri cari (sp) by getting gill hooked and bleeding all over the boat. Into the box he went.

Spent the rest of the day chasing birds with the trolling and casting rigs catching fish as we went. The higlight of the day was coming back to the green can and finding fish breaking on the surface. I casted a surface plug into the breaking fish and got a 30" fish while my buddy was casting a 6" storm shad and caught another 30 inch fish.

Next we moved in towards the shore and I caught a 36 inch fish casting a storm shad.

The highlight of the day was watching a boat full of guys with bendy rods (fly fishermen) when one of them caught a really nice 36 to 40 inch fish on the fly.

The low point was loosing a nice fish on a wire line rig with an umbrella when the hook on the stinger straightented out. (How many times to I have to tell myself DON'T EVER TIGHTENT THE DRAG).

All in all a great day on the water in what will probably be my last day of the "season" as work and family comittments will probably pruclude me from going out again before tog start biting in late Mar. early April.

Tom

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Archie,

I do have leather thumb pads and have for years. I often use thumb drag. I usually NEVER touch the star drag once a fish is on. For some reason I was just STUPID this time. My only excuse is that this is the first year that I have used umbrella rigs. An umbrella rig and a 32 oz mojo creates a great deal of resistance on it's own.

And yes I was really miffed when I saw the straighted hook.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.