Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried some catch and release fishing yesterday and still can't believe what happened. We left Deltaville around 11:30 and turned on the radar. There was a large image that kept changing shape just 4 miles north of Windmill Light. When we got there we saw about 1 sq. mi. of diving Gannets and not another boat in sight. Lines in and action began. We had our first 47 lb.er 47" in the boat within 30 minutes another 20 minutes later we had our second 42 lb.er 45". For the next 1 1/2 hours we tried to get my paper releasing over 20-30 fish that were just under the 44" citation. I have never measured so many 42-43" fish.
With marks like we had we decided to get out the casting gear. It only took a couple of casts to produce 30 lb. class fish. After an hour of that we decided to put out our big spoons and try to get that 3rd citation. It was not going to happen. The 40-43" babies kept getting in the way. Thanks to my friend Andrew Kidwell and our captain James Brown for convincing me to play hooky!
When you see this

and this

this is the result (47 lb.)

and this (42 lb.)

33 lb. on spinning tackle

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Sounds like one person on the boat did not get a citation and that's too bad, but it still beats workin'!! :D :D :D

With a seaon like this one you still have plenty of time to get your paper release soon!!!

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wow! and I just put all my gear in the attic for the year and got ready to winterize the boat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys. My buddies tried hard to get me a paper fish or was it the other way around?
Everytime we had a really big pull they let me have the rod. It usually turned out to be a double totaling 60-70lbs. After about 6 or 7 big doubles I was the one begging to get out the casting gear. I don't like double rigged Umbrellas any more. My arms are still shaking as I am typing this. We also caught 2 fish with tags that we cut off and are turning in.

They did take one picture of me.

This is one of the doubles with a tag.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Way to go

SeaWolff,

Great job, where are all the other boats in the picture? What a difference one week makes. I tried to get back to you on the radio last Friday, hope you did as well as we did.

Thanks for the help in the river this year, hope to see you next year. By the way, I tried to send you a picture of your boat, but your private mail is off.

Rappangler

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rappangler, We did pretty well on that Friday with fish up to 43". I ended up fishing 2 different boats that day. I started out on the "Morning Star" and helped them get their limit, then I heard "Waterview Hooker" was fishing by himself so I jumped on board with Ernie. He and I got the 43"er and we managed a few others in 36-38" range. My friend Andrew has a boat in Rudee and Ernie is going to move his boat to Lynhaven so it looks like I am set for the ocean season. Two years ago I moved my boat to Lynhaven and only got to fish 2 days in 2 months because of weather. Last year I fished with James Brown out of Rudee and we were able to fish 9 out of the first 10 weekends of the year. I hope the weather holds this year. Are you planning on getting out for the ocean season this year?
P.S. I turned on my bmail and would love to see the picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts