Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were supposed to fish the CCNP outflow after work.
I arrived an hour before sunset, ready to go.
TonyG was no where to be found.
I waited and waited. Eventually, just as the sun hit the horizon,
he showed up. We decided to take a quick boat ride and call it an evening.

As soon as we hit the bay, we could not believe our eyes.
As far as the eye could see, there were gannetts BOMBING!
We ran to the closest area of activity, and made some casts - nothing.
It was now mostly dark, so the next move would be it.

Ran a little farther to a big pod of activity. There was a pod of BUNKER
balled up in the middle of rippling water, so I threw a Big Rubba
into the middle of it and closed my bail... WHAM!!! I stuck him good,
and it was on! Rod doubled, drag screaming, this was no ordinary fish.
Eventually, I got him boatside, and lo and behold, it was a bona-fide 50!
YESSS!!!!! Simply gigantic. Got both hands on his jaw, wrestled him up,
and had TonyG snap a picture, and cut him loose. AWESOME FEELING!

TonyG then stuck one, and drag screaming, rod bucking, it was on!

As he worked the fish close, he suddenly cried out, "DAGGONNIT!!!
It's a little one!!!"
It's funny how our perspective can change...:

Compared to that giant fish, I suppose this 42" seems small, but still a NICE
FISH! It was his biggest fish on light tackle to date, and not too shabby!

Even so, he exacted his revenge upon me.... since he didn't know
my camera, he somehow did something wrong, and the picture of my fish
didn't come out. I've caught big fish before, but it still hurts.
The memory is good, but a picture sure would have been nice.

Oh well...

-TH

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
WTG Tony's,
:D
Thanks for the rpt and pics. Is that Tony's boat, next to mine??

I've hit the gannets 3 times over the last 5 yrs. Sure is a lot of fun. Shame you all didn't have more time on them.
See ya.:D

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
WTG Tony's looks like you guys had a great time and congrats on the 50" I sure hope I can get one over 42 this year.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Tony-

We saw the gannets yesterday near where you found them but they were just sitting on the water with a very occasional dive bomber. This was 1:30 PM and the wind picked up out of the north, so we did not wait them out.

Nice job on the fish. Sorry about the pic of the 50.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings.

A agree with the 42 thing. TonyG's perspective is skewed by that giant fish. That was a lifetime fish for most people, but he seems to think I do this every week. :rolleyes: He also didn't realize how much it stung to have missed the photograph.

I'm sure that as he fishes more, he will gain greater appreciation for that one he nailed. It was a big, healthy, beautiful fish. He just doesn't realize it yet.

The birds were bombing in all directions, as far as the eye could see. We could see from Cove point, up to near Breezy, and as far as the binoculars could see, there were pods of birds bombing.

Bill, I'm guessing they first major waves of fish should be in the skinny water today. They were moving north FAST. I'm considering being up there Thursday AM. Maybe I'll see you.

FYI - That was about 75miles up the bay from the CBBT. You only saw the bait with fish had them balled up. Otherwise, they were moving fast.

-TH

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One Fish,
Yes, that's his boat. Very nice machine, particularly that Verado engine. The quietest 4-stroke I've ever heard when running at speed. You mostly just hear the wind.

Just about time to head north. The outflow water is pretty much the same temp as the rest of the bay, which explains the very slow spring. I hope there are more gannetts out there soon! Much more fun!

-TH

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Tony-

The water quality north is terrible. I can go any day I want, and I am not going until next week. I have had a slip rented since March 1 and my boat is still on the trailer. Lots of debris in the flats and more coming. The level at Harrisburg was 12' yesterday and has dropped to 10 today. All that water has to flow through the Conowingo dam and into the flats. The flow at the dam is 166,000 CFS. I am waiting until next week.

You may do much better where I saw you yesterday. Walleye's first trip is Tues and Mike has not had a charter yet. I cannot say for sure there will be no fish caught on lures this weekend, but is it certainly in question. It should not be long though.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill.
Sometimes the weather on the water is vastly different than on land. It sounds like there was rain/snow up north, and now it's melting and making a mess downstream. Sorry to hear it, but if the weather stays like this for long, it soon won't matter.

I guess better is relative. Seems everyone is getting 1-2 decent fish apiece, which is better than nothing. But keeping an eye out for birds is going to be the ticket.

I was supposed to fish the harbor area tomorrow AM, but I haven't heard from my guy, so I probably won't. That area has been a sure bet for the last month, better than the other places. Hope I can go in the AM.

-TH

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the replies. Didn't fish up north, but have heard
encouraging reports from both north and south.

Probably won't make it out this week, but hopefully I can get back
out next week.

Good fishing to everyone that gets out!

-TH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts