Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished on Tuesday out of Hatteras with Tom Kidwell on his boat the Tribute and Greg Allen. Forecast was North 5-10 all day but think it was closer to 15-20 all day and with the stream going against the wind, it made for a snotty day. But it still beats a day at work.

Had the tuna trolling gear with us but never saw anything that made us want to put out a spread so we spend the day bouncing the bottom between 20 and 66 fathom. Could not find the bottom at 66 fathoms due to the conditions but caught plenty of seabass between 20 and 32 fathoms fishing wrecks and seamounts. Small seabass at 20 fathoms and a bigger ones at 32 fathoms. Greg caught a small snowy grouper at 32 fathom so we worked that area hoping for some keeper grouper. We kept hooking into something big that we could not bring up. I get two break offs, not snags, but something big on a Torium 30 with 65 lb powerpro. Greg gets one up and it's a big Sand Tiger shark. Not the grouper we were hoping for. Got some good video of Greg fighting the shark from 32 fathoms using one of Bayrunner's custom rods that put it to the ultimate test. Joe, great rod, thought for sure it was going to snap at anytime.

Here is a few pics from the day. Got a drop of saltwater on the lens so not the best pics.

Tom spent the winter working on his boat. He replaced a softop with a hardtop. Put on 18 foot outriggers and installed an open array radar amoung other things. Expect good reports from the Tribute this year.

Thanks Tom for a good break from work. Now back to work.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Mike, thanks for the report... cool pics of the shark!

Tom - Good to see you in the report... pretty boat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mike, thanks for the pics. NOW i'm REALLY going through Hatteras withdrawls. I'm sitting here at work, it's 28* outside, and all i can think about is Coronas on the deck at the Breakwater and fresh grouper bites (yummmmm) !!!!!!!:52:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Mike,
Way to save the day with those seabass. Haven't had a chance to get after those yet...maybe soon, great report and great job working that gear on the shark.

Matt
Rock Crusher
257 Seafox WA
Ch 68/78

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Tommy,

My rig stays home during Springtime. Just not enough boat for comfort down there...I love going down there in Spring (like a rite of passage) but man, the weather can be tough!!

Glenn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fishdad,
Nice pics.
Love that restaurant in the back ground (Breakwater's) we always eat there after we fish out of Ocracoke, makes me want to knock back a few.

Let us know when you see those yellowfin, won't be long.

Rodger

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Nice going guys! Pretty boat Tom! Nice going on the shark Greg!:bigfish:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Nice report guys. I see Greg didn't break out the fish club for that shark:D :D .

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Great video Mike. Sorry I couldn't go with you all. Looks awful rough on the water though so I guess I might have lucked out. :sweatdrop: But the shark looks like it took a lot of work. But that new rod of Gregs really got a test out and passed.:clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts