Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Little Creek around 2 pm on Monday with buddy Zigh. Winds were north around 5 kts and our destination would be the bend. We jetted out at 20 kts and spotted the fleet bunched up so we decided to hit a spot which I had found last week and work our way out to the 11/12 bouys.
I was using a flasher rig and Zigh was using a bottom rig that had different color skirts and a flasher rig tipped with squid/minnow combo's.
We released all fish except for one's that made the 20":bigfish: standard that we set for ourselves. Some fish were 20"+ but were not fat enough.
At the 11/12 bouys we had to weed through the dogfish to get a few stray flounder so it was not worth the effort.

As the sun was setting we jigged the 3rd in hopes of weakfish but the schoolies had taken over so we decided to ride off to the HRBT where the reports had been promising for specs/greys.
Once we arrived we set up anchor in 15' of water and a light flood tide that was just begining. There was no wind and the water was mirror slick and boiling with feeding mystery fish feeding on the bait fish which was stacked top to bottom. The water was 2 degrees warmer than at the CBBT which was 50.5.
We used an arsenal of every color jig, grubs, assasin tails, curly tails and spoons.
We caught several shad and rockfish up to 30". We were suprised with a fat 22" flounder and 3 bluefish which we kept for bait. The hot colors seemed to be Chatruess.
The tide shifted and the bite turned off with the ebb.
We pulled anchor and headed into the sunrise back to the bend for some more flounder action.:thumbup:
We were suprised to find a boat already there. We drifted a few times and started catching fish right away. The bluefish seemed to be a better bait than minnows and squid. We hit all the spots we hit on the day before but ended up staying around the actual bend in 40-45' of water. The current was moving us at 1.7kts and we had to continously slow our drift with the motor. As soon as we slowed we always hooked up. Tword the end of the morning the current had died off a little and the wind took over. We power drifted and stayed in the game till we decided to call it.
We ended up keeping 6 of the several dozen we caught. The range was 18" -23.5 ".
I think Zigh caught 5 to my 1 but I caught the biggest :rolleyes:
Thanks Zigh for being a great anchor boy:thumbup:

Not to end on a negative note but I have to let Empty Pockets know that swamping boats is not cool!:nono: There were several boats out there full throttle through the fleet but that guy was :wacko:

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is marathon duty. Great report and well deserved success. I feel your pain/anger/dismay regarding the swamping. I've been fishing the CBBT for years in a shallow draft, low gunnel boat. Some times it gets difficult to maintain the golden rule but let's continue to do our best to slow down/ go around other vessels that are positioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts