Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the jackspot today on the Darlin with Doug, Bill, Doug's brother and son. what an incredible day. We were strictly big bluefin hunting today with horse ballyhoos and big heavies. Caught a couple bluefish first thing and then a big pull happened on the pink big heavy on the left long rigger. We got young russell on the rod and he struggled through for his first bluefin ever. Very respectable fish about 75 lbs. Blasted through a zillion horse ballyhoos with chopper blues. Decided to try and jig on the big marks on the jackspot. got ate up with chopper blues and spiney dogfish. We had 4 more horses left and went back on the troll. Put 1 on the planer and two on the long riggers. Planer bite, bluefish:nono: down to 3 baits. Put another on the downrigger, planer bite - bluefish:yawn: Its gettin down to the bottom of the 9th. down to two baits. take one of the long rigger baits and drop it down on the planer - planer bite - bluefish but no one wants to reel it in anymore. So after finishing a sandwich and a beer we convince russells dad to take the rod. The rubber band has still not broken so he reels it in and we snap the band and KKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM - ooooops:eek: I guess it wasn't a bluefish. fought the fish for an hour before we got leader. finally I grab the leader and start hoisting -BIG FISH - over 200lbs - Like an idiot I dumped the leader and 20 minutes later get it back - this time I got 10 feet of the leader and we can see the eyeball and it is a BIIIIGGERR bluefin then we first estimated. way over 200lb - goes under the boat and I have to dump it again - Comes back up 5 minutes later and I try one more time - but this time I am not letting go. Get it up 15 feet and realize this is a true giant - not 400lbs by any stretch but a giant nonetheless - I get the fish to 15 feet with 10 feet to go and my hernia in my stomach pops out - ouch! I dump the leader and tell my buddy he has to wire the fish - He gets the leader back and starts hoisting but this fish is steady digging. We get the fish to 5 feet from the gaff. :eek:SNAPP:eek: heartbreaker after an hour and a half. never thought I would be pissed after catching a bluefin on November 28th.

Weather was warm and seas were pretty bad. I guess we'll get um next time!

Had a great time with Mover Bill, OC Captain Al and the rest of the crew. Thanks again. Some pics of the one we killed tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
HOLY MOLY BATMAN!!! At least you got to see the fish...

Looks like the bluefish are having a great meal on hoos again this year...

I hope you land the next one and it's even BIGGER!!!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Great story and way to hook a nice fish. I hope your hernia is OK!

Lucian: Remember this time last year? Three for 3 on nice BFT hey!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Bill sounds like a great day on the water except for the hernia blow out. Hope you get well soon. Sorry the slob didn't get the steel

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Pretty work

Awesome trip guys. Sucks getting old Pino:D. Hope your ok. I'll have to give you Howard back now that he's lost the golden horseshoe.;-)

Great news on the Bluefins. I'm pretty sure Bo & Pete on the Full draw had one yesterday on about the 565 or so.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nice work Bill, wish I could get out there but to busy taking care of the little guy. what size leader where you guys using?

·
Registered
286 Posts
were rolling out to the twin wrecks to the jackspot early am tomorrow morning looking for some bft's.
anyone else going or gonna be out there? anyone know about any mako or thresher rumors in there?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts