Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left the dock right around 8 AM, I planned to be on my best spot by 1 PM the peak of Solunar thing. Forecast called for 2-3 footers, the seas were actually 3-5, still fishable on my boat. My best spot is 37 miles due west of Johns Pass in 110' of water. First we stopped at 68' of water where we let a flat line with live pinfish swim by the side of the boat. This is the result:[grin]
http://www.cbeauty.org/AllExcite3.htm
We continued to go west and to warmer waters 72 degrees. We caught gag groupers and mango snappers. Air temperature was just perfect 77 degrees.
Can not wait until the next trip.[wink]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm coming down to the Port Charlotte area for the month of January. I'm bringing my 27 foot World Cat. I don't have a clue about offshore fishing in the area. Would like to do some grouper fishing and whatever else is running that time of year. Any advice or where to look would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gsieber,

I have the 99' TE 27 Cat with new 06' Suzuki's on the back. I had Yam's on it, what a difference the new Suzuki's have made for performance and fuel consumption. Where is St. Pete's(?) compared to Ft. Myers? Would like to know how your fishing expeditions go. Keep us posted if you could.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like the Suzukis are working well for you. Be sure to check some of the threads about them on the WorldCat forum.

St. Pete (Saint Petersburg) is just north of Fort Myers. Probably about a 45 minute ride from Sarasota Bay in your boat.

I have done a lot of spring, summer, fall fishing in the area, but not much in the winter. I am going to give it a try in a few weeks. I know the area got hammered by red tide this summer and I am hoping that some fish are out there.

I will let you know if I head your way on an outing. I have a couple good spots up the Saint Pete way, but probably not worth the ride for you as there is excellent fishing right in your back yard.

You may want to try to contact Doc Ehlers. He used to have a 266SF, but it sank in a freak storm last year during hurricane season. The local WorldCat dealer knows him. He is a great guy and is usually game for an adventure.

You may also want to check out powercating.com if you have not already.

Hope to see you on the water some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meredith,
As Greg mentioned, Tampa Bay and St. Pete that is a part of it, is about 100 miles north of Port Charlotte. I suggest you come and visit us. You don’t need to haul your boat all the way. I take you on my boat and give you a tour of the waters. This time of year, December through January, groupers migrate near shore on West Coast of Florida. You will need a guide, or GPS numbers of close to shore reefs or ledges that hold gag grouper. If I catch large grunts I will keep those too, although many snobbish fishermen refuse to keep them.
Please contact me, if you decide to come this way, I enjoy meeting new friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts