Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with Dave Trax (Aquatrax) and Rob Smith on monday. Headed out to the point and trolling with only 2-3 boats in the area. We went 0-4 on our first couple of hours. Pulled hooks right at the boat and one tackle failure was the outcome. Determination set in on the crew and Dave rerigged our planer rod (which was getting every single bite). Get it set up and a poirpose gets entangle in the planer rod ripping line off, jumping and finally breaking off. That was a first . Then there were no mistakes the rest of the day. We boated our next 3 tunas in the 40-50 pound range. Me get one gaffer and boat one more tuna. We had one double-one on planer and a drifter bite. Had to put boat on autopilot and help in cockpit with a small crew. That was fun!! Great crew and good weather (it was cold). Also, water we caught tunas in were 64-65 degrees. When these tunas are caught in this cold water, they are mean. Some of the toughest fighting tunas I have ever caught. Hope to do it again soon.
Final Tally: 4 YFTs and 1 Gaffer Dolphin
David

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
WTG persistance paid off. :thumbup::rockingman2:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Way to hang in there Dave...I'm sure everybody was seriously frustrated with those break offs!

I remember asking on that trip we went out on last summer about has anyone ever hooked a porpoise by accident, I guess you just answered that question!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Great class of fish for this time of the year. Glad you guys got um. Was the colder water just @ the surface over running the water from sat ? That would explain the deep rig thing & also the Dolphin. If so, I've allways found U have to work alot harder to get um that way unless the colder green on top is super clear.

Thanks for the report. I can't stand not being ready yet!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Nice going Dave and crew...can't wait to get out there. I sharpened something like 50 hooks last weekend and re-rigged or repaired every single rig I own (the Ilander count is getting ridiculous :) )

Talk to you soon bud

Glenn

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
thanks for the report way to hang in there and boat some nice size tuners

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for bringing me along Dave, always nice to land a few quality yellowfin. You never know what type of conditions yore going to find out of O/I. Cold green water, way overboard with the trap being the ticket. Bill we don't really know if the warmer water was under the cold but that seems like a good theory to me with all the deep bites. Also enjoyed meeting your family at the "Cottage happy hours" Dave; even though your bartending skills left me slightly diminished the next day. Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts