Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies Andrew and James called me last night to rub it in. I could'nt go yesterday, work got in the way. The two of them went north and found acres of Gannets working just SE of bouy 62. They said the troll was "sick" they could not get out the spread before they were covered up. They caught them from the surface to the bottom. The hottest rig was the tandem chartruse parachute. They said it would get slammed before the the swivel dissapeared below the surface. The troll was too much work for the two of them so they jigged for most of the day. They estimated 50-60 fish in the 25-35 lb. range. No citations I wasn't there to hold the Horseshoe up their butts.:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With all the electronics James has the only thing that does not work is his temperature gauge.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
We were up at Smith Point Light and got 24 on the troll.Got rough around 2 pm but a good steady bite.Here's a picture of the little one. :D

No idea on the weight-we let her go quick.I want this mama to spawn this spring. ;) Skip

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
27 sailfish, Thats what this C&R is all about. We are planning on tyring it again on Sunday before the "winetry mix" sets in. Give me a call if you get out.

Sea Level, I bought it from Dennis Beard in Deltaville right after Isabel. I had a completly restored 28' Bertram that was totaled in the storm. This boat is still a work in progress and the tower was on her when she was brought up from Georgia in 1999.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry if this puts a dark cloud over the thread and do not want this to take off on some political, what's right/wrong tangent. Doesn't commercial [email protected] start in a week or so prior to the spawn? Or am I wrong as usual.

That was a nice day and must have been worth the trip just to see the gannets working. Congrats.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know much about hook and line, but I think they are limited by the number of tags they are allowed. Even if the fish weren't easy to find they usually manage to get their quotas anyway. I support them as long as they abide by the law. They can be one of the best friends a recreational fisherman can have. Their knowledge of the habits of Rockfish supports their living and they pay close attention. I had the honor of fishing with one a few years ago. He is one of the gentlemen who loves the Bay with passion and he shared some of his knowledge with me. I learned more about fishing in that afternoon than in the previous 20 years. I would cherish the opportunity to do it again and I think you would too. I apologize about my defencive ranting but there are many sides to consider.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No apology necessary. I've a friend that commercially hook&lines and his son gillnets. Both are very helpful with information during our season too.

Again, a great day you had and wish I could have been there. Hope you get into them again. Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.