Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after seeing that break move within range, decided to make a go of it on Saturday. Gathered up a crew of Bob (Still Thinking), Matt (Rock Crusher), his brother Dave, and Lanie. Departed at 5 am to a slick calm bay and calm the first 20 miles off VB. Then a bumpy head sea the rest of the way...all the way....95 miles SE to the Cigar...to 750 fathoms, 950 line. The water that was moving towards the 100 fathom curve decided to break apart and move back eastward. But we found a break away section with 64-67 degree water that had 50 degree water on both sides of it. Few birds working along the breaks and tired of running, put lines in to see what we can find.

Here is a short video from the trip. 95 Mile Tuna Video.

Found some BFT, big suckers. First one went to Matt. At first we made the call as YFT not thinking BFT would be at 750 fathoms so we sunk the gaff into him. But BFT and good thing it measured out to 47 inches. It is tough to make the ID while in the water still, I'll tell you.

Next tuna when to Dave. Peeled off a lot of line and it was a solid 20 minute battle running from starboard to port back to starboard. It wore Dave out I'm sure but he did a great job staying at it. This one was slightly larger at 48 inches so we sunk the gaff in this BFT.

The warm water was disappearing fast around us and I think 95 miles is my limit (ok, maybe beyond what my limit should be). :eek2: So we head back to intially nice following seas. But soon into our run home, we crossed the front. Warm sunny skies, following seas, quickly turned into cold head seas and a thick fog bank. Head seas both directions....I must have angered Great Boreas (god of the north winds). :eek:

But a great day on the water. Thanks Bob (Still Thinking) for being a great cockpit monkey and showing me some of your tricks. Had a great crew that stayed after for the cleanup which I always appreciate. You guys are welcome back on my boat anytime.

Until next time.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Long run, Mike. Glad to see you found some fish... and returned home safely... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I figured for sure you gave up the thoughts of going with the forecast changes. Im sure you guys really paid for those fish. Glad to see you got some for your persistance and pain. You took off out of Salt Ponds or out of Rudy? If Salt ponds then from Rudy it would be 75 miles one way still? I must be getting soft but I would rather trailer to OI and run 30 miles by boat. Thanks for the report. Glad you back safe and sound. Martin:rockingreport:

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Pretty Work Mike & Crew!!!

It'll soon be time for a little BFT searching at the dog.

I am definitely looking forward to a little C&R on LIGHT TACKLE.

Rigging my rig this week, hope to get out SOON!!!

:clapping2: :bigfish: :clapping2: :bigfish: :fishing2: :bigfish: :clapping2: :bigfish: :clapping2:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Great report and AWESOME video. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm with Martin, though, I'd rather trailer down to OI and head out toward the Point.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mike...Tks for the ride yesterday...I truly needed that fix man !!!...you are one hardcore guy...you worked your butt off yesterday in those funky sea conditions and my hats off to you and your wife....first class all the way..thank again big time and I'm glad we got some blood in the boat out of your homeport.......hope to have you and lanie on Still Thinkn some day......Bob

Team Still Think'n

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Man O Man I Missed Another Kick'n Trip.....Third Time Is The Charm Mike !!!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Guys nice work on the Tunas.I knew some would be in that break,great job going the distance to prove it.March Tunas, great.Thanks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well you have the "Bloodiest cockpit award" so far Mike. Way to hang tough and find some fish. Bluefins in 750 fathoms! You never know till you try it. Glad you got Bob out... he's been hanging out in his yard lately since his boat has been down staring out to the East. I heard a radio report when we were out Friday of a boat that had many bluefins and some sword activity around the 800 in 700 fathoms.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I ho'd on a boat outta oi sat, You earned them fish for sure, it was nasty at the stream!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Nice work guys...I'm sure the ride out/back was fun (not) but again, nice to get some tunas out of VB in March. I hope we get a nice load of bait out there so those Bluefins park their a$$ off our coast.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Good talkin' to you on the radio yesterday Mike. Nice work on the bft's. I'm still shocked they were out so deep.

We found birds working on bait on the 100 line in 30 fathoms yesterday. Water was about 51 so we didn't spend much time checking it out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Had to add this pic:

It was really great meeting and fishing with you guys! Bob, next time you see Mike and I out by ourselves offshore, feel free to drop off some help!

I couldn't resist adding this pic of Dave. He really earned his rest. As he was finally gettin the fish to the boat, it decided to peel out more drag. :eek:

Hope you guys are feeling okay after being in the blender yesterday.:bigangel:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts