Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may already know, your social security number is required on the application form for the new DE fishing license. You can not opt out. No s/s #, no license.

I was advised that this is due to some Child Protection legislation which, in part, says if you are a dead beat parent, and you have a fishing license, your fishing license must be suspended.

DNR didn't want the legislation, and DNR tells me they are losing money as a result of it. I haven't seen the numbers to support that, and it seems too early in the game to realize it, but it's what they said.

This set-up puts the identity of law abiding anglers at risk, for the sake of trying to locate, or track, dead beat parents....the latter of which won't be buying a license, armed with this knowledge in the first place!!

Seems a bit absurd to me.

Should we anglers, as a group, be outraged that we're being targeted by this legislation in that manner?

If so, then call your legislators and let 'em know this ranks right up there with the dumbest of laws.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

·
1,671 Posts
Me personally,I don't get outraged at anything anymore.

I want to go fishing, I'm at there mercy.
Do I like it..... no...It is what it is...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Make one up for the purpose of application. Your SS# should be protected by you. Ask if the state will indemnify you in the event of identity theft. If the DNR will not provide you with a written privacy policy, then they can not collect this information.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Striper In, but you can still let your legislator know you don't like it.

Make one up for the purpose of application. Your SS# should be protected by you. Ask if the state will indemnify you in the event of identity theft. If the DNR will not provide you with a written privacy policy, then they can not collect this information.
....maybe so, but they can refuse to issue you a license.....it's the law.

Not sure what you base that on, but perhaps the written privacy policy is implied by the fact that they only keep the copy with your number on it.

Problem doesn't necessarily come from DNR or the State. Though it might come from divulging your number to any possible ex-con working the counter where you purchase the license.

Yes, I know, we can get the license directly from DNR, but that ain't the point.

·
1,671 Posts
Yes Striper In, but you can still let your legislator know you don't like it..
Thx Bigwill, plz don't take what I said the wrong way.
Over the years (I'm 49) I have sent many letters, many calls, to my congressman,legislators, and fought the fight...on many issues, 95% of the time they went unanswered and even when my gripes were answered they were political un-answers.

Right now my time is far more important then trying to fight "this" system, this system I mean this De Government, but am always willing to help out another, post a link/email on where I should vent about this and would be happy to send my displeasure and I am sure others would do the same.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Striper In -

Nope, didn't take it the wrong way at all. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I understand the brick wall fight myself, but, I've been lucky with some. Still bruised, but lucky.

A family member was a victim of identity theft; a minor issue which was resolved quickly, but made me want to say something about this use of our social security numbers.

You, and others, can give Christopher(Chris) Cooper a call on (302) 577-8716, express your dislikes, and he'll get it to the right person(s).

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have an Email. I originally called Senator Amick, and Chris returned the call. Wish I had a toll free number to give out also, but don't.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Big Brother is watching the De. residents. Be carefull what you say or a government agency (the kind without any name but only initials) may come knocking on your door!

·
1,671 Posts
Big Brother is watching the De. residents. Be carefull what you say or a government agency (the kind without any name but only initials) may come knocking on your door!
I'll be home waiting for them, and if I'm not home I'll be fishing and will tell them the same thing when I get home.....:thumbup: F em,Truth hurts some time....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Be thankful...

this has been going on in PA for both hunting and fishing licenses for a few years now. The state and local governments can't do what they are supposed to do so the Federal government mandated this to the states. It has been looked at as the same as any other kind of license issued by local and state governments. I totally disagree with this practice. As has been pointed out, how do I know the kid behind the counter isn't just getting the job he has so that he can get a bunch of numbers only to quit after a bit of time and then sell the info?? How good is the state wildlife agencies database computer security? Talk about a universal ID card. Our SS# have now become one wanted by everyone. And the sad part is if that you don't want to divulge this information to people, they can out right refuse to accept your applications or grant you licenses. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a thought

This is my first post so bear with me. but It seems to me that we are all acting like the old women in the Aesop Fable (yea I'm old) where the axe is stuck in the rafters in the ceiling of the barn. When the old woman sees it hanging there she is paralized with fear, worried that someday it will fall and kill someone in the family. Then as other family members come out and ask what the problem is, they join her in crying about what may happen. Finally a young man comes by (I like to think of him as a young conservative) and by then there are many family members sitting there crying and worrrying about what might happen. When he finds out why they are crying, he reaches up and pulls the axe free and sits it safely to the side.

Acutally this fable has nothing to do with the problem, but I really like that story.

As far as being worried about giving up your social security number, you have good reason to. So change the digits. Instead of 5021 put down 5120. Oops you made a "mistake". They ain't gonna check it. Your number is safe, and if they check it, which I would be shocked if they did, say the following:

oops

At least junior at the counter ain't going to be able to rip you off.

I sure do like that story though. A long time ago I dated a girl just like that old women. "

·
Registered
14 Posts
Believe me, it is not something that the sellers want to do either. I do not like it either. We try to be as sensitive our customers as possible. We ask the customer to write down their own number, so that other customers do not have the opportunity to hear that information. It all comes down the privacy, but I understand the need to find dead beat parents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts