Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to scrape my barnacles and sand my bottom. This is on my boat of course, no matter what my wife says. :eek:

I am also toying with the idea of pouring some lead.

I am looking for a mask (I figger the replaceable element type) that would be good for both. I know nothing about microns/hepas, etc.

Any recomendations of brand, filter quality, prices, where to find, etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I work in the Haz waste field and handle, pack, and transport pretty much anything anyone can dish out. We've recently moved to full face respirators but for your purposes half face will do just fine. I reccomend a Wilson half face model F950 M/L (I think the M/L part stands for medium large but I'm not sure). Now the important part about respirators are the cartridges. For particulate waste such as bottom sanding you should only need a HEPA cartridge but when dealing with Lead Vapor you are going to need an inorganic vapor cartridge. I'm guessing a corrosive liquid vapor cartridge would also do the job since inorganic metals and inorganic acids share similar properties. Now you can find combination cartridges that will be a little more expensive but will do the job of both or you can buy them seperatly. OSHA and Wilson reccomend the average life of a cartridge to be in the 8hr range but as HEPA's get used more they also begin to filter out smaller and smaller particulates BUT they also get harder to breath through. Also remember if you have facial hair you have to shave it or it's not even worth buying all this stuff b/c you will not get an air tight seal. Most of this stuff can also be bought from a place like Grainger. If you have any more questions feel free to p-mail me.

-Evans

·
Registered
18 Posts
Home depot sells respirators. I bought one last year for about 25 bucks. It worked great for the sanding and you can replace the filters as they get clogged with dust. You would have to read the packaging concerning lead vapors. I wear goggles and gloves too. I would pour the lead in an open area with a fan going.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
A half face respirator with P-100 Hepa filters should do the trick for the lead and grinding dust. North M/L fits 95% of the people I fit test and you can get them at Northern, Grainger, etc. Respirator costs ~22 bucks and the filter catridges are ~8. You change the filters when breathing becomes difficult.

Employers are required to medically clear, train and fit-test employees but you're free to do as you like.

Also, any facial hair that interferes with the sealing surface of the respirator will greatly reduce its efficiency.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,760 Posts
Saturday - 3/17/07CCA MD SUPER SEMINARCalhoon MEBA Engineering School
Sign in at 8:15amCapt. Dan Harrison, Joe Cap & Getty Browning and
27050 St. Michaels Road-Easton, MD

9:00am to 1:00pmCapt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna FlatsTickets $25.00 at the Door

Stinkbait: Shave the beard and wear the approved respirator or mask or purchase the lead jigs or whatever. It's not worth the money getting cancer. Lead is toxic and you must be careful when working around it. See: http://www.des.umd.edu/os/mngmt/lead.html
Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Registered
477 Posts
Big E

Thank you for the info. But, I have a beard and mustache, is there anything that I can use?
Stunkbait, They make a resperator that is a full face style that comes with a air pump for those of us with the facial hair it keeps a constant pressure in the mask so that nothing else get in

Hope this helps
Benny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts