Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use nothing but Penn reels and I was worried about the sale to Shakespeare. So I called the Penn factory and it seems that they are going to keep the Penn plant open in the USA. They will keep making Offshore gold gear here in the states along with others except for the cheesy reels they out source to foriegn land. We will still be able to get parts through the Pennsylvania Plant. Seems that the employees are happy they are keeping that plant open. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's good news Striper:D . I have 8 senators, a couple of old 309's and 2 even older 109's (mid sixty's). One thing i like about Penn reels are they are easy to service and clean, and above all is availability of parts, both original and aftermarket. I love the Accurate power handles I put on my Senators. ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thats good I guess but I've purchased my last Penn reel... I'll keep the old ones that I've already got but will replace them when they are ready to retire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
good news for the union workers...the prices go up...quality has gone downhill...have more problems with newer spinner outfit than with 20 year old 4400... Shimano i'll be back...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree. Put all of your new Penn stuff on the shelf.....Break out the Shimano's.... I need dependable Reels that last....I sold all my Penn reels but one my "12LT" solid as a rock like the rest of the old stuff....The new stuff went downhill...Good luck on the Bigfish w/ Penn.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that the new spinning reels are junk. I have old 6500's they are solid as a rock. But I don't perfer to use spinning reels anyway I perfer bait casters. I let my guest use the spinners. But if a fish is on it I will reel it in. :D I haven't had any problems from my 50 VSW'S but I put the new drag washers in them. I use the 330's and 320's for rocken and they are a great reel also. Just had to replace drag washers but they get used alot. I know I won't loose a big fish with the 50 VSW"S breaking down but who's to say it is made by man as Shimano is. I'll keep my Penns. I don't want to buy a reel made in Malasha Hell I can't even spell it. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have used penns for years and this sucks. I have alot of older penn spinning reels about 15 years old and some senators that are about 30 years old. I recently bought 3 ss spinning reels and am having some doubts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 4 209's and one 309 from the 60's that were my Dad's. Cleaned them up and replaced the levelwind guides and they work like new. Nothing is built like back then.

Just wish I could find parts for the old Mitchell 302 spinning reels (6 of them) that I have.:confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
only problem i found with my penn bait casters, [310's, 320's,330's,senitors etc] is penn
doesn't lubricate the insides at the factory. i take them out for a couple of shake down trips
and tear them down for a good lub job and i have no problem with them.
spinners.. i can't help yu their, i have 2 little junkey outfits in the boat that i bought at
w-mart, i keep spinners for the women and the male children under 6 and usually after 10
or so min; they get tired or graduate to a real reel.
PS i paid 42 bucks for my first 320 and it still catches today. The only other problem i had with them is keeping the thieves hands off them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts