Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance at getting a pretty nice boat hull. Its not exactly what I wanted but it is close enough. The major problem is that the boat had a stern drive and there is a whole in the transom where the motor came out. I'm an outboard guy.

How hard would it be to change the transom so that I could put an outboard on the transom or even a bracket? Is there anybody in the area that is good at fabricating that I could take it to if I decide to get the hull?

I have plenty of time work on the hull to get it just how I want it before hanging a motor. Just curious as to what the experience on the board would say.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would be inclined to install a bracket. If you do, you have some choices to make : single or dual engines (makes a difference in the bracket you select, type of bracket, etc.) Bracket would simplify the cosmetics of filling the hole ... still needs to be filled, but bracket would cover the I/O hole. There's a number of bracket makers (a few are: Custom Marine Welding, B Bracket, Armstrong, Stainless Marine, and D&D Marine.) You'll regain the space taken by the I/O in the process. One very important consideration: what's the condition of the transom (water in it, rot, etc.) AND what reinforcement will be required to handle the bracket/motor loads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Log on classicmako.com and check out there project boats . There's a lot of knowledge on there forum and ask some questions. jose

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Do you have a flush transom or a euro? my boat has a bracket like mentioned and in the bilge you can see the nuts and backing plates which run vertically on each side. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a big hole in the middle of the area that is holding my engine on. Even if you "fill" the hole, you still haven't accounted for the flex in the transom that a hole will allow. You would either need to lay several layers of plywood or starboard to the outside of the transom (effectively doubling the thickness of your transom) and reglass/gelcoat over it, or you'd cut the entire transom out and redo it completely. I'd cut it out. I think a transom can be redone for $3000 (?) by a professional. [sad]

I'd keep looking for a hull set up for an O/B (unless its a REALLY good deal).

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have done several I/O to O/B on bracket conversions It is not hard at all for a person who is comfortable using tools and understands basic fiberglassing techniques. once you get an outboard on a bracket you will not want to go back to an open transom, no worries about following seas ,better ride ,better fuel mileage,quieter ride,more interior room. In the southern states it is done routinley,
much information can be obtained dirrectly from the bracket manufacturers such as Armstrong or B Bracket or others
and also from the fiberglass manufacturers. most were real helpfull when asked for information

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Folks I appreciate the input. I decided not to get the hull. It is 23' seacraft sceptre hull that had twin sterndrives. The transom needs replaced and some of the stringer system is bad also. The hull would have been free I just had to go get it. It is located in Cape May new jersey. Jimmy's Marine Service. If any of ya'll are interested let me know I can give you his email.

Craig

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would pass on this one-not like any Seacraft I've ever seen. there are a lot better "Projects" out there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts