Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stradic reel that makes a loud grinding noise when I wind in a lure. I tried removing the screw that allows access to the line roller bearing (the most likely culprit) in order to replace the bearing. I was unable to budge the screw, even after soaking it in highly-rated Kroil penetrating oil. The noise was annoying enough, that I stopped using that rod. Eventually, I gave up and bought a new Stradic 2500 reel. I installed it this morning. Rather than spool this reel with all new 10-lb braid, I used a trick that I previously described in my last book.

I have a Stradic 3000 reel on another rod that had lost some of its 10-lb braid. Before heading to Florida in a few weeks to target some stronger fish, I wanted to respool that to have a full spool of line. A Stradic 3000 spool holds about 20% more line than a comparable 2500 spool. There was enough line remaining on the 3000 spool to fill up the new 2500 spool nicely.

I ran the line off the 3000 spool, out through the guides on that rod, down through the guides on the rod with the new reel, and tied onto the 2500 spool. I am not a fan of using mono backing on my spools -- I fill spools fully with braid to avoid having knots in the line bundle. To keep the first few wraps from spinning on the metal spool (been there, done that), I wrap a strip of masking tape on the bare spool first. The first few wraps dig into the tape and hold fast.

I kept tension on the incoming line and was able to get a nice full spool on the new 2500 reel. I then respooled the now-empty 3000 reel with fresh line off of a bulk spool (I buy 1,500-yard spools that last for several years).

Rectangle Gas Cylinder Cable Tints and shades

In addition to saving money on braided line, one other benefit of reusing line in this way is that I now have bright, fresh line on the outside of the new spool (the older braid is buried in the first wraps on that spool).

I also keep on hand some old 10-lb braid that has been removed from my reels. I treat it like thread. I have repaired tears in my fishing pants and gloves and sewn up a torn cover on my gel seat pad.
Sleeve Grey Rectangle Denim Tints and shades

I am not a skilled fly-tier, but I do on occasion tie some bucktail on hooks. I use the spare 10-lb braid for tying. These uses may not be cosmetically perfect, but they work -- the braid is stronger than cotton thread.

Wood Feather Writing implement Tints and shades Natural material

· Registered
942 Posts
I have a Stradic reel that makes a loud grinding noise when I wind in a lure. I tried removing the screw that allows access to the line roller bearing (the most likely culprit) in order to replace the bearing. I was unable to budge the screw, even after soaking it in highly-rated Kroil penetrating oil. The noise was annoying enough, that I stopped using that rod. Eventually, I gave up and bought a new Stradic 2500 reel. I installed it this morning. Rather than spool this reel with all new 10-lb braid, I used a trick that I previously described in my last book.

I have a Stradic 3000 reel on another rod that had lost some of its 10-lb braid. Before heading to Florida in a few weeks to target some stronger fish, I wanted to respool that to have a full spool of line. A Stradic 3000 spool holds about 20% more line than a comparable 2500 spool. There was enough line remaining on the 3000 spool to fill up the new 2500 spool nicely.

I ran the line off the 3000 spool, out through the guides on that rod, down through the guides on the rod with the new reel, and tied onto the 2500 spool. I am not a fan of using mono backing on my spools -- I fill spools fully with braid to avoid having knots in the line bundle. To keep the first few wraps from spinning on the metal spool (been there, done that), I wrap a strip of masking tape on the bare spool first. The first few wraps dig into the tape and hold fast.

I kept tension on the incoming line and was able to get a nice full spool on the new 2500 reel. I then respooled the now-empty 3000 reel with fresh line off of a bulk spool (I buy 1,500-yard spools that last for several years).

View attachment 283125

In addition to saving money on braided line, one other benefit of reusing line in this way is that I now have bright, fresh line on the outside of the new spool (the older braid is buried in the first wraps on that spool).

I also keep on hand some old 10-lb braid that has been removed from my reels. I treat it like thread. I have repaired tears in my fishing pants and gloves and sewn up a torn cover on my gel seat pad.
View attachment 283123

I am not a skilled fly-tier, but I do on occasion tie some bucktail on hooks. I use the spare 10-lb braid for tying. These uses may not be cosmetically perfect, but they work -- the braid is stronger than cotton thread.

View attachment 283124

Yeah, that's about my level of tying, I put a little red nail polish on the finished knots. If you want, I can take a crack at taking off the roller bearing, I'm having a sale on it, six 3" tails... ;)

· Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's about my level of tying, I put a little red nail polish on the finished knots. If you want, I can take a crack at taking off the roller bearing, I'm having a sale on it, six 3" tails... ;)
I do the same thing with nail polish (I use whatever color my wife no longer wants). Here are the same three hooks after painting with nail polish. Nobody will confuse me as an artist or master fly tier, but the fish don't care.
Road surface Gesture Asphalt Wood Art

At this point the old reel is no good to me, even though it still works fine. I had planned to hold onto it for parts (e.g., handle, spool, etc). If you want to take a crack at loosening the screw, you are welcome to do so. I already have a new replacement bearing. Your service charge of six 3" paddletails sounds fine to me. I just restocked a few weeks ago with 20 lbs of paddletails.

Plant Yellow Rectangle Wood Road surface

· Registered
942 Posts
I do the same thing with nail polish (I use whatever color my wife no longer wants). Here are the same three hooks after painting with nail polish. Nobody will confuse me as an artist or master fly tier, but the fish don't care.
View attachment 283133

At this point the old reel is no good to me, even though it still works fine. I had planned to hold onto it for parts (e.g., handle, spool, etc). If you want to take a crack at loosening the screw, you are welcome to do so. I already have a new replacement bearing. Your service charge of six 3" paddletails sounds fine to me. I just restocked a few weeks ago with 20 lbs of paddletails.

View attachment 283134
Nice, I might have to rethink my fee... ;)

· Registered
2,078 Posts
Maybe some heat with say the tip of a soldering iron would help coax that screw out. Also, taking the entire bail assembly off might allow for better purchase on that screw along with a good quality screw driver.
Took the text right out of my fingers only way I could get screws out of scope rings is by heating with soldering iron.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts