Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just got my first kayak a couple of months ago and was going to try for shad around the 95 bridge in Richmond. I have fished many times using Ancarrows landing behind the Richmond Wastewater plant out of boat. Any body else used their kayak around there? I am guessing that Ancarrows is the closest place to put in in order to fish around the 95 bridge. Any other tips or put-ins closer would be appreciated. I have heard that the fishing is starting to pick up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brad, you can go across the 14th street bridge from the north side and once you hit Mayo Island there is a brick building with a parking lot on your left, turn in there. Kayakers are allowed to park and put in and take out there. Walk down the shoreline (on your left) about 75 yards from the parking lot and there are some steps there where you can take your kayak down to the river and launch. It is only about 200 yards downstream to the 95 bridge. It's a much shorter paddle then trying to paddle all the way up from Ancarrows.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tailwalker, I had forgotten about that place. But, I know exactly where you are talking about. I might give it a shot after work this week.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Theres another place on the N side of the river off of 14th street- Little gravel drive like 200 feet from the river- easy to miss. I cant remember if theres even a sign there any more, but if there is, its small. You hafta carry your boat down a good ways, and its got some decent rapids there. Never did launch there.

My favorite place to launch for shad is at the James River Locks park (or something like that) downriver a little on Canal St. Only issue is that you have to carry the boat across the narrow path that goes across the canal. Once you get it across the canal, theres a nice 'beach' area where you can get set up and its not nearly as far to the 95 bridge as Ancarrows.

Good Luck
Jay

·
Registered
36 Posts
They usually open up the area right under the bridge. On your way to ancarrows, just take the left under the bridge, where the cable is usually blocking your path. Drive right up to the river and put your yak in. I was behind a guy towing his boat, I stopped under the bridge, put my yak in and was catching fish before he got up to the same area.. KAYAKS RULE!! Lemme know when you are going, I might meet ya up there. Had a blast the last couple of years there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went yesterday to scout the area out and found a spot that should work out good. It was called the 14th street takeout. Coming from the north side of the bridge it is on the left just as you get on the bridge even before you get to mayo island. It has a parking area with steps leading down to the river. It is apparently where all the whitewater guys take out from after running the rapids. I also saw a couple of canoes launch from there to shad fish. You can put in there and and make a short paddle around Mayo Island and you are right in the thick of things. I did not have the kayak with me at the time, but I did have a fishing pole:D . We went across the 14th street bridge and fished from shore for an hour or so and managed to catch a few. A few guys in boats seemed to be catching them pretty good. I will be giving them another shot this weekend and next week after work. I will put up a post when I am heading that way and might see some of you all there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brad,

That is the spot I was telling you about. That actually is on the Island, you just don't realize it from that vantage point.

Trophy fish, I'd be carful about launching anything under the 95 bride on the Southside, there are no trespassing signs all over that area and you are trespassing if you are under the bridge there. Just because others are doing it does not make it legal and I think it just depends on how the wardens are feeling day to day on whether you will get a ticket. I watched them ticket several people there last year. It's just not worth it to me. Not to mention the water is deep enough there that getting into your kayak could be a challenge, along with the current.:boat:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Tailwalker it took me a few drive bys to find it, but I started looking over where they used to have the festivals at Mayo Island. It was YEARS ago when I remember seeing guys carrying Kayaks up this certain part of the bank. But, this was probably even before they had this take out spot built. Now, that whole area where the festivals were has grown over and the old building have gone to ****. But, I think I have it figured out now. I will be giving it a try over the next couple of days. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brad,

Be careful where you park there and I'd be out of there before dark to be safe. Try to park against a corner spot if possible. Someone hit my truck there two years ago and then left a note with a fake phone number on it. It is a tight lot.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You might check out the this site : Home There are alot of yak anglers in the area that will be fishing that area in the coming day's and weeks.

Darren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts