Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son will soon be going to college in Richmond Virginia. Besides being a pretty good student he is a fishing nut. I imagine that there are some fishing opportunities in the James River. What can he expect to find there? He'll be fishing from shore or bridges (if allowed). Do anglers wade there? Is it a light tackle fishery? Does the tide effect the river that far up? Any info would be helpful. Thanks, John T.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
There is a fishing club up that way that he should check into. They C&R fish for American Shad up there. I am sure that there is also small mouth, bass, perch, etc. up there also. Stripers make it up there to spawn, and there is a world class trophy cat fish fishery on the James.

The Virginia Anglers' Club is up that way. The contact info* is Ronnie Sides, 276-5985

*From Times Dispatch web page.

Tom

·
Registered
131 Posts
The best wade fishing in Richmond takes place in the Pony Pasture area. Large flathead catfish are caught with such frequency that it's not a question "if" but how many live bream do you have. These fish average 12 to 15 pounds but it's rare that in a couple hours of fishing if you don't land at least one of 20 pounds or better. This is a late spring to mid-fall fishery. Have fun!

Barracuda48

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Shad start in late march april. Not to be missed. Tell him to head to the South bank below the 14th street bridge on a falling to low tide. After the shad run dies stripers can be had in the deep holes and the flat water in front of Tredegar above the falls. If he gets up early the pony pasture is beautiful and can give up some smallies, but it gets hammered pretty hard during the season. If he's going to VCU he can walk to the river.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
ah ha !! Funny the subject came up !! Today I saw my first ever flathead catfish !! A sweet lil 14 pounder by my buddy I will catch one someday myself too !! I got 6 fish today - 16,18,29,14,22 and a new personal best of 43 pounds. Striperjoe on the freshwater board caught 2 striper above DUTCH GAP at 12 and 14 pounds. Lots and lots of bank fisherman along the river today too. Pics and VIDEO of my 43 pounder will be posted over there too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can fish for smallies just above the fall line in downtown Richmond. Don't need to hit the Pony Pasture. Too many people. He won't have to go far at all. Starting in March through spring...Shad, stripers. All summer...wet wading for smallies. In the fall, put some waders on and keep fishing for smallies.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
also if he likes to camp as well as fish - there are at least a half dozen state parks with an hour or si drive from there too, not just camping - there are fishing lakes,rivers and pond at every state park too.....heres a link to the main web site of Va state parks.

http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/

have him or you take a look at 1= bear creek lake ( already have reservations for memorial weekend 2007) 16= holiday lake 19=james river park 30= Pocahontas

we stayed camped and fished at all 4 last year- and they are great to get out and away from the crowds- you can rent cant and jon boats at them too

PLENTY TO DO FOR SURE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.