Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow lots of boats on the bay today came on watch at cove pt an the radar looked like a bee hive with targets everywhere. I am the mate on the big blue an white tug that was north bound today. Who did I piss off I am sure there was someone who thinks I can move easier then them.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Most fisherman know the tugs chug along the 30-40 foot depth - no big deal avoiding you guys - unless it's foggy and they do not have radar.

I'll often hail an approaching tug on VHF 13 just to let them know I see them and confirm how I'll pass them. Some captains even change course slightly to give more room.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Most fisherman know the tugs chug along the 30-40 foot depth - no big deal avoiding you guys - unless it's foggy and they do not have radar.

I'll often hail an approaching tug on VHF 13 just to let them know I see them and confirm how I'll pass them. Some captains even change course slightly to give more room.
Good to know, do all tugs monitor channel 13?

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
VHF 13 is a low power channel for commercial vessels - only useful if fairly close to each other.

If you can not raise them on 13 - try 16 and ask to go to 13.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info all commercial boats listen to 13 an 16. We will pick you all up on 13 long before you hear us. Yea I change course if I can but sometimes it isn't in the cards good luck to everyone can't wait to get home an start catching some flatties in the back bays of the shore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts