Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the rifle ordinance went through in the county. There is no elevation requirment and rifles can be used for the general firearms season starting 06-07. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The rifle hunters already have a season around here and it is open all year around, but most people take advantage around the fall and winter time of the year. Just one thing they have to worry about getting caught.

I hope they dont open a rifle season in my county, I might just bow hunt during hunting season. I have killed enough deer with a rifle so I know what it is like and it isnt a challenge. All I need is to get shot by some yoyo out there that doesnt know the difference between a person and a deer.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Yes it is true. Next season Charles City County will be able to use rifles. I have a friend that owns some land up there and the fellow that owns the farm next to him told me that next year rifles could be used. We were cutting shooting lanes and bushhogging a pond last Sunday when the farmer told us this.

·
Registered
633 Posts
First of all I would not shoot a whimpy .270 I shoot a 300 Ultra mag. And no not 1000 yards but 500 is well in there. Hunting with a rifle is the only way to go. Long range they never know it's coming.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
When I was younger I would hunt with my 4" Buck Lock Back knife. Now I have to go out with my old Columbia single barrel 12 gage. Time sure changes things.[grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This is all I use anymore. The old faithful Atel Atel. But is only good to about 75yds, capable of much more, but I was never a military sniper.

Dayton

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love bowhunting, it gets the hunter up close and personal with the deer, learning why they do what they do. It is also a peaceful way to hunt.

I also enjoy hunting with a shotgun running deer with dogs. I grew up hunting this way and it has been passed down through generations in my family. Some may not consider this sport, but I love the comaderie that comes along with it and it being a Southern tradition, nothing gets my adrenaline pumping anymore than this type of hunting.

I grew up on a farm and through written permission of the VDGIF we had crop damage permits on hundreds of acres of crop land. Before some of you start bashing this how would you like your hard worked money thrown into a fire. I have killed more deer with a rifle than many people have killed in a lifetime, I regret having to have done that now that I look back on it, and it ruined wanting to hunt with a rifle and also hunting with a muzzleloader.

I have hunted with a muzzleloader, too easy and I shot round ball.

Finally my argument against crossbows. Some people have the concept that a crossbow is like a rifle, pick it up sight in and go hunting, no practice involved. So those that cannot bow hunt because they dont have the patience have picked up hunting with a crossbow. I have heard guys tell me this themselves.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've never hunted with a bow before, so maybe I'm missing something. Truth be told, I don't go hunting for the kill, but for the experience, but realize that the kill is the end result of any hunt. As much as I'd like to take something in the field, it just doesn't happen sometimes, but I'm glad for what nature provides if it does. As the famous Ortega y Gasset once said the same. I enjoy being out in Nature as much as the chase.

However, I do agree that maybe rifle hunting detracts somewhat from a real hunting experience, as compared to bow hunting. The rifle was invented to make it easier, but I used to do alot of shotgun hunting like yourself, and did alot of rifle shooting in the military instead.

Never hunted with a crossbow before, either, but I've heard the same, and also agree that muzzleloaders of modern times have gotten nearly, if not as, effective as rifles. I may have opened a smelly can of worms with that last one....

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
With my muzzleloader, if a deer walks within 150 yards its going down. I have friends that say 200 yards with their muzzle loader. Even though I have the range, I still like the 50-60 yard shot the best. I don't know but something about being close gets the heart and adrenaline going a little bit more.

I'm scared to try bowhunting because I think it would consume me and I'd miss to much fishing. [grin]

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bowhunt with a Mathews Q2, I muzzleload with a Remington 700MLS in .54 and .45, I do a little bit of shotgunnig with my 11-87 and I want to try the rifle hunt out in the late season next year. I plan on building an enclosed tower to sit in on those cold dreary days with my .308 custom/tactical rifle. -Kepone

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's one thing I've never done is sit in a stand. I guess I don't have the aptitude or patience for it. I strictly still hunt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts