Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about mounting the FF and Gps to my yak. Do you hvae to buy a waterproof units or do they not get that wet? I am thinking of any accidential spills and waves over the bow. I am thinking of buying a handheld for battery ease but the depthfinder needs 12v system so where to store the battery?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Get a small 12 vdc battery thats less than 10 amp hours. One like you would use in a security system. Mount it inside your kayak below the depth finder on the Tarpon series. There are some websites that show you how. A kind of battery is like this one http://store.yahoo.com/batterysupplyco/sealleadacba1.html but there are plenty of battery places in town to buy them. Your fish finders do not usually draw that much power. I have a Hummingbird 565 and I ran it for 32 hours and it only went down from 12.6 volts to 12.3 volts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little disappointed by the responses here. Is there a better site to find out about installing a FF?
Asked a Bass Pro guy about installing one on the kayak and he said impossible. Nobody wants the liability of a FF as they are not made to go underwater. What type are you guys yusing? I have not rolled mine yet but expect its only time.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Almost all of the marine GPS FF units are at least USCG water proof meaning they can be submerged for 30 minutes adn still werk...at least thats my understanding...I have a Garmin 135 combo GPS FF and have not mounted it yet....do a google and you'll find some info out there...I am a member of several good yak fishing sites...do a google and you'll find a few too...lots of good info out there...when I do mine I'll post some pics...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ill get my FF article up on www.ruthlessfishing.com this week, it is very detailed and has lots of pictures.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most fishfinders are pretty waterproof but ALWASY spray the connections with anti-corrosion stuff. The GPS id look into something water resistant or keep it in a GPS dry bag (they have a clear front so you can see). The fishfinder does need a 12v battery however you dont have to kill yourself with a 10amp hour 7 amp hour or even a 5 amp hour battery. Believe it or not most fish finders can be run on a 2 amp hour battery for 2 days or so. This sized battery is awsome cause its compact and light.

also when running the qwires into the hull use a waterproof fitting. They have some that are like 15.00 but there are also these ones that are really small and only a little over a dollar.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Listen to Ruthless and go to his site. The directions are simple simple simple. You can put one in yourself without any trouble. If you are near va beach give me a holler and I will come over and give you a hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts