Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching on eeling and how great it works for big fish Im gonna try it for the first time this winter. Im planning on fishing with 3 rods. One on the bottom with a 3 way rig. One about mid way in the water column with about a 1 oz inline sinker to get it down (will this be enough weight). Another about 10 ft under the surface on a bobber.

Does this setup seem right to you guys?
Any tips or modifications I should make?

Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use about a four foot piece of 50 lb flourocarbon leader material under a good quality ball bearing swivel. I have 1 oz egg sinker separated from the swivel by a plastic bead to protect the knot. Main line is Berkeley Big Game 40 pound Monofilament. Overkill,, you bet but I use the same Shimano Baitrunners and Shimano Charter Specials that I use for catching big bluecats in the James. Caught some big Stripers the three times I went eeling. I did not break off any.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
No weight........free swim em!!!!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Use torpedo or trolling sinker from 2 to 6 ounces. Clip snap swivels on your main line and on your leader. Weight depends on the current also you can use this setup with a bobber. Set the rig at the depth you want and place the weight that you need.

Place the hook through the chin of the eel and out to the top of it's head,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts