Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this striper fishing in the spring trophy season. I went last year with knowledgeable people who had all the rods/rigging/umbrellas/etc.

I want to try it myself this year and am looking for advice on what rigs to purchase. Billy bars, spreaders, tandems. What colors and sizes of shad/curly tails etc.

I'm planning on using tekota 500 and 600s for reels with 30# braid and wind on leaders, either fluoro or mono.

Pictures would be great as the terminology is a little new to me as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. It's all so confusing but I want to learn.

Rick

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Try to attend as many seminars as you can - be sure to bring paper to jot down notes.

Many are free - like monthly MSSA and PSG meetings. Other seminars are held at the various fishing flea markets - good place to buy tackle.

IMHO - you'll find the better parachutes at local shops. I use lures from All Tackle , Anglers , Marty's and Tylers as well as Spankin' Striper ( on line or at some shows ).

Umbrellas will catch but I prefer singles and tandem parachutes on 60lb Ande clear leaders.

Basic colors are always white and chartreuse but it pays to have sparkle green glitter / pearl / blue and white ( early season ).

I like to mix the colors up until I find what fish like best that day. No idea why but some days a chart. parachute with white shad is great but a white parachute with chart. shad does not get hit. Crazy but it happens a lot.

Having white / white and chart. / chart. out will never be wrong - these will often get hit day in / day out.

I prefer 9 inch shads - I buy from Martys - little bit extra but good quality shads.

If you have not filled reels yet - you might want to bump up to 50 ,65 or even 80 lb braid. I put 300 feet ( 100 yds ) on each reel so it does not break the bank. With firm drag - few Rock pull much line off the reel.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Also keep in mind depending on the type of line, lures you decide to use you will need inline sinkers to get the bait down.
You can google a trolling depth chart that gives you all that information. I started two years ago and the vendors at the
spring seminars are very helpful with all the information you'll need. This forum will also give you great advise. Keep in mind
though you will still have to adjust and perfect your own methods.

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mike and Sailfish for the advice. I had made plans to attend one show this spring. Do you guys know where I can find a list of shows/seminars in the Annapolis/Baltimore/Frederick area? Kinda starved for that info here in the VA valley.

Rick

·
Registered
624 Posts
Rick,

MSSA puts out a list late winter/ early spring of all the spring shows. They list locations and times. I know they have the following every year

Kent Island area
Lake Shore Vfd in Pasadena
Commodore Hall in Essex
Annapolis Elks Lodge# 622
Solomons Firehouse
Frederick County Fairgrounds.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you happen to get 30 lb braid wrapped around a finger or two you'll probably need stitches if something pulls against it. It's so thin it cuts like a scalpel. 50 is the lowest you can actually sorta safely handle. If the fish of a lifetime breaks your reel and you have to pull it in by hand you'll appreciate the 50.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THanks Jethro... Shopping for 60-80 hollowcore now so I can do that chinese fingerlock joint from braid to mono/fluoro.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
THanks Jethro... Shopping for 60-80 hollowcore now so I can do that chinese fingerlock joint from braid to mono/fluoro.
You are overthinking it. A uni to uni, modified albright or FG knot is all you need (I'm assuming your objective is to catch fish, if you just want to play with tackle knock yourself out). KISS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts