Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing at greys run friday evening. Dnr showed up and was checking for licenses. Of course i had mine but the fellow next to me said he must have left his in his truck. As the officer was talking to him a man on the other side of the creek (who had two youngsters with him) had one of the boys hide there bucket of fish in the bushes. To make a long story short i am usually one to mind my business but before the officer walked away i tipped her off that she should check thier bucket! So after dealing with the guy who left his license in the truck she headed over and proceeded to check thier minnow bucket and the mans license. Then she left. I couldnt believe that even with a heads up she didnt bust them for the undersized fish i witnessed them keep. Its sad that someone would teach a kid to do this and in front of others on top of it. Its even sadder that the officer didnt follow the tip. I hope she reads this.would you guys have said something or just kept your mouth shut???

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
You did all you could do. It is VERY sad to see a man do that in front of kids as that is what the kids will grow up doing...............Gary

·
Registered
643 Posts
it seems like the officer could have been civil, professional and wrote the guy a ticket without traumatizing the kids. if that's true - why not?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am glad that you said something. This "don't snitch" subculture we are getting ourselves into is counter-productive. Good citizens are the eyes and ears of law enforcement. Officers can't see everything. As to why she did not follow up...anyone's guess. Nice job. You did the right thing!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree and commend you for doing the right thing. I further feel that a summons should have been written for any illegal fish and, if the kids were a bit traumatized, it may help them learn and remember a valuable lesson.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
Johnny - The DNR officers I know are very strict ( but fair ) with fishermen. I can not imagine the officer letting the man go if there were too many or short size fish. Even more so after you pointed out where to look.

You might be able to call DNR with the place / time / date to find out which officer it was - then ask she call you.

Over the years - I've called DNR or pointed out to officers things I've seen - they have always thanked me or called back.

Tough to even guess what might have happened in your case - might not even have been illegal catch in the minnow bucket.
Sad if it was - especially with a father teaching his kids. I can see that coming back to haunt the father in 10 years as the kids get older and break more laws.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bucket that was hid in the bushes was a white 5 gallon bucket, she only looked in thier minnow pale which didnt have any perch in it. I thought of calling dnr and leaving a message for her. Maybe i will do that tomorrow just to let her know i was dissapointed. I dont want to see a childs day out with his father or role model be ruined but if that man isnt going to do his job right then me and all of you will pay for it when those boys get older. I am tired of it for one and my children will grow up in this world. We all need to Put an end to it i feel starting with whoever knows the friggen poaching gill netters!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think that you should have minded your own business and let the family enjoy the day together fishing.You could have made something small become a big issue for some guy just taking his kids fishing.If a fish was undersized it may have been a kids first fish and he really wanted to keep it.You never know what the situation may be.All too often people on this board rush to judgement and seem to enjoy judging others as if they are the holy crusaders for aquatic species.As far as criticizing the officer,I bet she really isnt interested.Remember one day you may do something questionable do to a judgement call for whatever reason and probably wont appreciate someone snitching on you.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I think that you should have minded your own business and let the family enjoy the day together fishing.You could have made something small become a big issue for some guy just taking his kids fishing.If a fish was undersized it may have been a kids first fish and he really wanted to keep it.You never know what the situation may be.All too often people on this board rush to judgement and seem to enjoy judging others as if they are the holy crusaders for aquatic species.As far as criticizing the officer,I bet she really isnt interested.Remember one day you may do something questionable do to a judgement call for whatever reason and probably wont appreciate someone snitching on you.
Interesting take. How do you feel about the gill net poachers? Are they just trying to feed their families? Poaching is poaching and if your example were correct, all he would have done is taught his kid to poach.

·
Registered
643 Posts
really can't say pointing dnr to inspect for illegal fish is wrong. the guy shouldn't have been doing it and assuming it was kid's first fish, it would have been all the better time to explain size requirements. i've found that to a large extent, kids seem very malleable as adopting parents' beliefs. in that respect, using the kid as accomplice to hide the bucket is really headed the wrong way.

before i posted previous response, i was also considering possibility if i saw that same guy sticking a box of fish sticks in his coat at the supermarket. oddly enough, there's probably more chance i'd bust him on stealing fish at the creek. :yinyang:

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is sad those kids are NOT being taught right from wrong, especially from a parent who promotes the wrong values. Hopefully when these kids grow up they will do what is right for future generations and throw back under sized fish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shaddart it worries me that you share resources with the rest of us since you think its ok to poach if you are doing it with your child. i remember vividly my father telling me "thats too small let it go" but i watched them throw several perch in the bucket that were obviously well undersize. and then to hide the bucket and get away with it was rediculous. if you keep a striper that measures 17 and 7/8 inches this july i could care less if you get away with it but if you are going to take a kid fishing and teach him to hide 12 inch stripers in the boat somewhere all you are doing is multiplying the amount of cheating disrespectful poachers that share our resource. i respect the fish and only take what i will eat but maybe i am the crazy one, maybe we should all keep everything we catch till there is nothing left! if you are starving to the point you need to keep 5 and 6 inch perch then i am suprised you had money to buy the fishing license.

·
Registered
561 Posts
shaddart it worries me that you share resources with the rest of us since you think its ok to poach if you are doing it with your child. i remember vividly my father telling me "thats too small let it go" but i watched them throw several perch in the bucket that were obviously well undersize. and then to hide the bucket and get away with it was rediculous. if you keep a striper that measures 17 and 7/8 inches this july i could care less if you get away with it but if you are going to take a kid fishing and teach him to hide 12 inch stripers in the boat somewhere all you are doing is multiplying the amount of cheating disrespectful poachers that share our resource. i respect the fish and only take what i will eat but maybe i am the crazy one, maybe we should all keep everything we catch till there is nothing left! if you are starving to the point you need to keep 5 and 6 inch perch then i am suprised you had money to buy the fishing license.
Gee JOHNNY if you were so sure of yourself why would you start a thread asking opinions of your actions being right or wrong?I think maybe you had mixed emotions about the situation and were seeking validation from a sympathetic audience.If that is the case you came to the right place!As far as sharing resources I would like to know who you mean specifically by US.You have been on here for less than a year.If you cant handle all opinions than dont ask!!! I can assure you I catch a lot fish and release everyone,since I do this folks that fish on my boats tend to follow my lead.As far as you being the crazy one,as you may have learned by now opinions will vary.I would say emotional may be more accurate.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mind your own business??? When the topic of the day is large scale poaching in the Bay??? You did the
right thing. You can't force the DNR to enforce. Have you considered talking directly to the Enforcement
Chief about the attitude of its officers when they are given information?? I am so pissed off about gill net
poaching in the Bay that I may give up fishing altogether - what's the point??

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I think that you should have minded your own business and let the family enjoy the day together fishing.You could have made something small become a big issue for some guy just taking his kids fishing.If a fish was undersized it may have been a kids first fish and he really wanted to keep it......
Hell of a way to teach a kid responsible sportsmanship....."it's ok to break the law because it's your first fish?"......"so Junior, anytime you wanna break the law just make up an excuse to justify it?"
The OP was right to notify the DNR officer, the law is for all of us.
If you don't like the law work to get it changed, Otherwise be prepared for the consequences of violating the law.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts