Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing the oil and filter on my Yamaha F150 and was preparing to add Ring Free to the gas for the first time. The label states "When adding to 4S motors in the "Shock" quanity, you must change the oil afterwards.

Two questions:
1. My motor has 220 hrs on it and I have never used ring free. Do I need to do the shock treatment?
2. If the answer is yes to the first question, is the oil change really necessary?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I have a Yam 2-s and it says to replace the spark plugs after running a shock treatment. The shock treatment loosens up any carbon build-up you may have in your engine, and that carbon is going somewhere. In a 2-s, it ends up on your plug terminals in the combustion chamber. Maybe w/ a 4-s it ends up in the motor oil. And you don't want carbon particles in your oil.

I'd say that if you've never run any type of fuel additive (Ring Free, Carbon Free, etc) in your engine, then you'd be wise to run a shock treatment. On the other hand, if you've gone this far w/o adding it, why don't you wait and run your shock treatment in the last tank before you take her in for the next standard oil change? In that case, I'd add the standard treatment amount for now, and hold off on the shock treatment until later in the season when an oil change is needed.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply UJ. You pretty much said what I was thinking but I was hoping to get a few opinions to see if I was going in the right direction.

I guess there are no 4s owners out there who have read the post and can share their thoughts.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
My 2-s has an O2 sensor, and it'll get carb'd up and go bad if I don't use Ringfree. So its necessary for me. I'm not sure its necessary in your 4-s. I'd call your dealer/mechanic.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guys at Bill's Marine said to use it. Otherwise I wouldn't have forked over $27.00 for a bottle.

UJ, I pretty much agree with everything you said in your first reply..thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts