Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good fast sinking line for my fast action 6 wt (TFO TiCRX) I have seen good reports on here about the rio deep 7. Mostly folks have talked about using it on heavier lines, but rio says it works on a 5-9 wt. Would this be too much line for a 6?

I figure with a full sinker, I'm going to retreive most of the line back anyway, so there won't be long distance pick ups. With only a little line out, I think it might be ok. ALso, the rod is a really fast 6 and feels a little heavier. I use a coldwater clouser for a floating line. It casts great and I have heard that it is a little heavier than standard.

Does anyone have any experience (or just opinion) on the Rio deep 7 on a 6 wt rod?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
302 Posts
You've got the right idea. The 6wt should handle it fine. I keep my Deep Lake 7 and a spare reel and it migrates from rod to rod as conditions dictate. On my 6wt I need about 20 feet of line outside the rod to load it, on my 9wt closer to 30 feet. Since there isn't much of a taper on the line (or at least not that I can see, despite what the Rio Website says) you can easily compensate having more or less line outside the rod tip.

The Deep 7 is a great choice. As an alternative, you could buy a 30 foot length of Rio T-8 splice it to a section of running line or braided mono, and then cut the T-8 to length until it feels right on your rod. That route might be a little cheaper (by about $10-20) but there are some drawbacks. While they're both made of tungsten, T-8 is a little thicker than the Deep 7 which means larger surface area hence more drag so the T-8 might not sink quite as fast as the Deep 7. But, if you're likely to get hung up in the rocks or on structure, the T-8 setup is cheaper to replace if you're constantly breaking off. I think it sells for $0.30 a foot whereas the Deep 7 is something like $60.

Personally, I have a Deep 7. But I'm thinking of putting together a T-8 setup as well just to compare. Just letting you know about both sides of the coin.

By the way, you can also get T-14 which works well with heavier rods (9-11wts).

Sawyer

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow! This is really surprising.
When I weighed it, the front 30 feet of my Deep 7 was right on 185 gr (AFTMA 7)....and the front 40 feet was just above the 9 wt mark of 240 gr. I've tried this line with 2 different 6wts I consider strong and stronger- nope, forget it.
Three different 7wts - still loggy on all of them....but I'm guessing that the latest high enders that I'm a little familiar with - Cross Current/S3s/Xi2/TCR would do OK with it because of their stiffer actions through most of the blank.
Three 8wts - great on one (S3); good on the older but still fairly stiff SCS; but still loggy on the softer 10' steelhead rod (ARC - G).
Two 9 wts, (1pc and 4pc Cross Currents)- great on both, but the 1 piece is always a nicer casting rod anyway..
No 10wts - yet.
Now just to be sure, are you guys praising the line's fishing qualities (with which I heartily agree), or do you actually like the casting qualities of a rod which is overloaded by 2 to 4 line weights beyond the mfgr's design? (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

DF

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
It wasn't pretty but I got it out there with the 5wt. Much easier than I have 5' sink tips. I've used the stuff on a 10wt and dind't feel like I was casting anything. I've also used it on a 7/8 and it was fine, well actually I didn't feel a whole lot of difference between the 7/8 rod and the 5. But I was casting 6 inch 3/0 clousers on the 8wt and #8 shad woolly buggers on the 5.

I don't think that line rating system applies for that rio deep lake line. That line is so much different than any other sinking line. It feels as light as a feather and is as thin as 20 pound mono. Just try it out for yourself on a lighter rod. It casts like a floating line or probably more like an intermediate but it sinks like a ton of bricks. It tangles too but were not doing the whole pros and cons thing now are we?

Besides, they recomend it for rods between 5-8 or was it 6-9.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Seb,

Just call ahead and make sure they have one. Every so often when they get mentioned on the TF there will be a run on them at WCO. This thread will probably start another one. You can always call ahead and give them a CC# to hold it for when you get there so you don't waste a trip...Although is it really possible to waste a trip to a fly shop? Its more like an unexpected or alternative success.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts