Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbup: I am considering putting on a tolling motor for my 18" Wellcraft Fisherman 2002. Does anyone have any suggestion for where I install the motor? I was thinking about a bow-mount with a remote control. Should it be installed on the port of starboard side? How far up on the bow should I install it? A 54" shaft is it long enough? 80lbs of thrust is it enough? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to adding an electric tolling motor, it should help out while; Popping for stripers, slowing/controlling drift for flounder and basic holding me on top or over structure.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
301 Posts
I put a Riptide 80 bowmount (on the port side) of my old 17' Whaler Newport last year, and HIGHLY recommend it. (Actually, my neighbor did all the work). I tried to get by with a 55 transom mount for 2 years and it just wasn't working. The 80 makes all the difference in the world. I can hold in a good current and fish the shoreline with ease all day. It is also excellent for crabbing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Glub, Did you mean an 80 lb thrust or 80" shaft? I was thinking you meant 80lb thrust.

But thanks for the info, I am going to do it, but I wanted some ideas that would help me make some decisions about where and what I install...

Thanks again

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
301 Posts
80 lb thrust. 54" Shaft.
Includes a small "platform" made of Starboard to help it clear the low rail on my boat.
Ran cable to breaker switch, then to 2 batteries under the console. Also mounted a charger on the console.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in the market as well but can't decide between the Riptide Pro or the Remote, but guys that fish the Chesapeake recommend the 60-62" shaft because of chop. 80# thrust would be good.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I have a 65 Riptide 65 pounds of thrust, remote on a 22' CC. When it was new it did very well, help in the current at CCNPP and at the CBBT on a full moon behind th pillings. But it's a few years old now and the remote stopped working once, the foot control went out once. I had it serviced and they found corrosion to the be the problem but it keeps happening.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with as few parts as possible and get one with a hand tiller for the front. Less things to go wrong theory.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys what about the cost$$$$

Good tips, but what do think the installation should cost$$$$ ??? Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Why not go for the MinnKota 101/Ken Penrod fishes his 8 hrs. in swift current like the Susky.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was quote $1,599 for a Riptide ST 80/CP/AP with a dual battery system installed on my new boat. I know the motor itself is about $1,300 and 2 decent batteries are about $180. The batteries probably cost less to them, but I'm just guessing. Then there are additional parts for lets say $20. The total coat for parts would be around $1,500, so $100 for labor. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I have three riptides so far and they hold up well. Cut the connector for foot pedal and solder the wires together and seal them good. Use a release mount if possible and forget the wireless gadget. Use the long corded belt clip model contoller and keep the foot pedal as a spare. If you do not cut the connector for the foot pedal out make sure you seal it good with tape. This helps it last. Once corroded inside there is no way to clean it.

Also the auto-pilot feature works well as long as you stay away from metal sources. Or iron ore deposits.

I have drowned them in saltwater and fried them with shorts and broke them in half on docks. All three still work fine.

Capt Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tommy, where did you get your quote from? I am planning on putting a riptide on my 198 carolina skiff in the summer.

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
I mounted a minkota 80 thrust 24 volt system on my 23 Sea HUnt. I used a stainless steel 90 angle I got a guy to cut for the mounting bracket on the stern. The batteries and the charger are in the center console. I have been using it all winter at the power plant. It works great and is plenty of power to push around the Sea Hunt. All done I have about $1,200 in it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
riptide

i have a bow mount 80lb thrust w/remote and like it . i love the remote cause i can go all over my boat and still control motor plus no wires to trip on. it moves my 18ft alum .vary well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Chris,
I bought my boat from Chatlee Boats in NC. It's a long drive, but they are saving me $2000+. The price they gave me is with the sale of the boat, so it might cost more if you were to get it done separately. I forgot to add the removable mount comes with it and is about $95. Now the total retail cost is about $1595, so the installation cost is $4 :eek2:. The dealer must be getting a huge whole sale discount.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd say that's worth the drive. I checked them out at BP and they really didn't have a lot of info to give me as far as which shaft length to get, needed thrust, etc. I also thought they would be able to install it but they said no go.

Good luck with it and have a good year out there!:rockon:

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts