Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
My buddy lives on the York River a few miles from the mouth of the river. The eel grass that usually grows in the shallow water did not grow back this year. It was great for catching softshells and bait but now we can't do that anymore.

I don't know if this is the same situation that you are talking about though.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have the same problem up here in Md on the South River. We have grass in the spring and then it dies off. However, the next two rivers north on the western shore have an abundance of grass throughout the summer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll be fishing around windmill and in the islands around **@^%# creek this weekend and I will take a look at the usual grass flats for any change. Haven't been in there yet this year. I hear there are no fish there yet this year anyways and am hoping it isn't because the grass is gone. Less grass = less bait = find a new fishing spot. I'll get back on monday.

·
Registered
421 Posts
DownDeep,

Thanks. I fish the Rapp/WP area a lot and have been wanting to try for the specs, but haven't found the grass and didn't want to ask for other's secret spot. The VIMS survey data helps me get started.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bob G/JP,
Found the info earlier this year. Had hoped to find something more current. Have transfered the 2004 fields to my charts but haven't had a chance to scout out the areas. Will post info if different.
DD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah! Kudos to VIMS for putting that up there on the web I have used those same SAV maps to guide me in finding diver and sea duck hunting spots. You find the SAV that is where the ducks will be in December!

Hope that we can find a way to restore much of the lost SAV acreage among the hundred other things wrong with the bay!

·
Registered
106 Posts
As promised, The report on grass around windmill is that I saw grass in all the same spots I usually see grass. In fact, the grass around my pier seems to be expanding and growing out into what is usually only mud in water up to 2' deep. This is in the creek, but may be an indicator. Maybe the specs will find my house and move in!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just for general info, the species of SAV prevalent in the lower bay tend to die off as the water temperature rised during the summer. This is why you see large amounts of grass floating around during the summer and mats of it on the shore. When the water cools again in the fall it will begin to grow again. Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts