Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out for a couple hours today in one of the local creeks, beautiful day the air was warm and there was a sweet smell of spring in the air. The water was still a little high and off color but very fishable. Caught a couple decent rainbows on green buggers, nothing on any of the other stuff I threw.

If the weather holds I'm going to try to hit Fletchers tomorrow in the yak.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Let us know how you do at Fletchers, also water clarity too. I'm thinking of going to Fletchers on Wednesday, that is if T-storms don't raise holy-heck with the river tonight.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I blew off Fletchers. I had a friend scope it out on his way into work this morning, he said it was do-able but borderline - still high and muddy - so I went trout fishing again instead.

I hit one of the local put and take trout streams that I've been meaning to fish. Water was high and not being familiar with this area I fished my spinning rod today because I wanted a trout for dinner.

Check out the photo below, I was crouched casting from under the big log into the current beyond. I saw a large rainbow take a slash at my spinner just on the other side so I climbed up on top of the log so I could get a better angle.... sure enough, first cast it nailed it but now I had a delema, too big to flip over the log so I had to shimmy out to the end of it and walk the fish around to the other side without it getting into all the branches hanging in the water just beyond, then shimmy back, all the while holding the rod and keeping my balance, it's a wonder the fish was landed and I didn't end up in the drink.

Thursday is my next opportunity to hit Fletchers...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Is that Morgan run?

You should have gone to fletchers today. The water will almost certainly be far muddier tomorrow. Then thursday worse still. So much for 2011 shad/striper run. Schoolies will be next but they have been few and far between the last few years. I guess now we have the snakeheads to stare at and force feed too. There are more than enough snakeheads around.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salmo,
I was kicking myself about the decision (indecision really) but I had a good day just the same. Even at 2pm when I was on my way home I almost jumped onto 270 toward DC but I had some things I needed to attend to at home. My plans for tomorrow have shifted to Thursday so I may try Fletchers again tomorrow if I can get away and we don't get too much rain tonight, my "scout" is going to call me again from the river tomorrow morning ...

The first shot is from what I consider my home stream, the upper Patuxesnt, the lower one is from your old stomping grounds a good hike above black rock. The Rainbow I caught today wasn't quite as big as the one you got the other day but it was really fat and healthy looking plus it had a minnow the size of my index finger in it's gut. While I was fishing I saw a lot of small chubs chasing my lure, I almost tied on a Rapala, if there are any large trout in there I bet that would be one way to get them.

I've heard good things about Morgan Run, that may be next.

I have not caught a snake head yet but I'm going to add that to my fishing "bucket list".

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I too had to bale on going to Fletchers today (Wed) because of an obligation that popped up late on Tuesday... at least it was a good obligation that popped up. Now I'm looking at Thursday... with an evil-eye on the weather and water. We shall see... the biological shad clock is indeed on its last couple of tick-tocks.

Snakeheads - I see in the 2011 Maryland Fishing Guide that it is still illegal to intentionally snag fish in non-tidal waters of the State EXCEPT FOR SNAKEHEADS. (Page 5, item 12) However, it seems that snagging of any and all fish in tidal waters is still illegal (page 36, item 11). Wonder if that might change soon to allow for the snagging of snakeheads in tidal waters? Seems like tidal areas are where most snakeheads are found.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
With flows approaching 5’ I decided to give Fletchers a shot today, Thursday, 5-5-11, 10:45-2:30pm. Fished from shore. Water vis wasn’t quite as good as I had hoped, maybe 16”-18” at best. Took me a while to find a few fish. I didn’t find a lot of fish but I did find a variety.

Finally tally was:
6 Hickories, all small bucks
8 Wperch, 2 nice ones and the rest dinks.
1 striper-14”, 1 small crappie, 1 herring, and finally, 1 needlefish-15”.
No American shad

Still a fair amount of surface flipping going on by herring and occasional hickory. Just guessing, barring any more rain and the river don't rise, Fletchers might be able to rent boats by Saturday or Sunday. Might be some wperch action in the area by then so taking along suitable terminal tackle.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I see the flow has inched up a bit overnight. That might also translate to a slight increase in turbidity too. I'm guessing that renting a boat at Fletchers this weekend will be very iffy. I forget at what level they will start renting boats, is it 5' or 4.5'?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Saw it Wednesday. Was decent. Took some friends hunting snakeheads. We caught white perch, hickory shad, smallmouth and largemouth. Thursday was pretty good from what I heard for stripers to 17 pounds or so, most small, word from a friend. The big ones are gone.. Friday, today, my son and I took the john boat up from national after his kindergarten tests. Looked like further down river was considerably cleaner than up river by fletchers. Some more dirty water came down river. It was clearing some by the late afternoon today. The hickories are on their way out. I caught one hickory today and on Wednesday caught a few in a short amount of time trying under the same murky conditions.

Herring are everywhere. The run seems thicker than last year even. These are the smaller variety blue back herring. They are hitting flies, sibiki and smaller shad darts like 1/16 or 1/32oz or even 1/64oz.

I'm sure there are a few white shad around too. The river was just too dirty up there to get into any. Not sure if fletchers will be renting boats though. They were not today, maybe tomorrow. If it's below 5' they usually will just as long as the river is on its way down, not up.

Hight tide is around noon or 1pm tomorrow.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I fished Fletchers this afternoon for 2 hrs. Spent some time talking to the guys at the boathouse. Looks like 5' is the magic number. They will make the call in the AM. I will be there early in case they decide to rent. River was not as muddy as I had expected. Was catching a hickory almost every cast for the 1st 15 mins then it started to slow as the tide went out. At high tide, river looked somewhat fast, I would imagine that at low tide it's really ripping.

They need our continued support. One of the staff mentioned that no boats have been rented in almost a month due to flood levels and they may have to reduce staff.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
buddabud - Thanks for the report and update. My last two trips to Fletchers nearly all the hickories I caught were small bucks, some not much bigger than a nice herring. And I didn't catch a single egg-laden female, just a few spent females. By the end of the season, catching only small bucks just doesn't float my boat.

What was the size range of the hickories you caught?

It will be interesting to see if any American shad are caught once they start renting boats, hopefully by Sunday. Boat guys seem to do much better than shore guys at catching Americans.

·
Tidal Potomac Fly Rodder
368 Posts
I went out yesterday, fished between Fletcher's and Chain Bridge on foot from 12:30-3:00 and then ran into a friend in the parking lot and fished in the boat from 3:00-6:00. It was pretty crowded so spots where you could cast from shore out to the current seam were limited; I started off catching a Herring and a few little White Perch. I hit a few more spots and couldn't get anything but snags. In the boat, it started off slow, with several White Perch up to 8 or 9 inches before catching the Hickories. We caught about 20-25 Hickories and lost many more, with no Americans brought to the boat. There were many boats out, but very few of us were shad fishing, and even fewer of us were actually catching.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Dalton - Thanks for the intel. Definitely not a good sign that you didn't even hear-tell of any Americans being caught. Last week and this week should be peak time for American shad... that is if any showed up. What size were the hickories and how clear was the water? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Well at least you did well on perch and hickories. Crazy how they are still around. Any stripers? Get a snakehead yet? I think I may have broken my ankle this weekend while camping. I've never had an ankle injury and this puts me out of the chain bridge season finalle fishing for sure. Could I get anymore bad luck. I guess I can still row a boat. Crutches and all.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Fished today from 2 to 5pm. High tide. Nothing going on. Some people complely skunked. We tried mostly for Americans in all the good deeper spots. Nothing. Caught a few herring and ended up setting up for perch from a boat. Only caught a handful of them on jigs but saw some guys fishing bait double up on jumbo perch reguarly. Every cast kind of thing. We caught a few nice perch to ten inches but not many.

Heard this morning was good for White shad and yesterday mid day was very good. Plus the weekend crowd saw quite a few white shad. Not sure what was wrong today though. I guess I missed it? The water seemed rather stained. Not too stained to catch if the fish were there but I think the hickories are done and maybe there are a few whites still around.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Heard the same thing about a big flurry of whites (from J.R. thx!) and was advised to get down there pronto. Circumstances are gonn'a prevent that from happening, but I'd of at least liked to experience the bigger shad vicariously today, Salmo. Saw someone made a reference to 'green' shad (not yet ready to spawn, I gather, and a new term to me at least) - is this just a plumpness deal, or is there some other way to diagnose pre-spawners?

·
Registered
293 Posts
HJS - I hear you one the size of the hickory. We've been washed out the past couple of years right at the peak of the run. Hope this changes next season.

Fished both Sat. and Sun. from a Fletchers boat. Sat. was strictly a bait trip (herring) and we caught many herring with a few hickory and whites mixed in. The shad went back of course. Tried to get up-river with my small outboard and couldn't even get to Boiling rock, could barely hold with the ripping current. Had the GF with me and a lot of gear so I gave up and headed downstream to above the bend.

Sun went by myself and was able to get up to the Parlour. It took a few different tries and approaches but my small 3hp outboard pulled through. I was the only rowboat upstream but didn't do much. CAught 3 jumbo fat 10-12in perch which I gave to Paula (the Dock lady) since I don't eat fish and a whole slew of catfish. One was the largest channel cat I have ever caught. Livelined herring and 2 were bitten in half like the way bluefish do to spot in the bay. Snakehead or Gar would be my guess. Had to be something with teeth. Still itching to pop my snakehead cherry.

Bumped into some neighbors and they ran out of bait so I gave some herring. They caught 3 stripers one was nice but not a cow. Back at it on Sat. as long as the weather holds up. Hope the river is clear by then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts