Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family in town this weekend knocked me out of the CCA tournament in Crisfield. Heard the guy leading has a three redfish/trout combined total length near 90 inches - wait for it ----> from a kayak.

I spent most of yesterday and today doing the tourist thing in the boat with the family but took the long way around from Annapolis and St. Michaels in the evenings to fish. We had a great topwater rockfish bite along the shoreline with several overs using Lonely Angler Holo poppers and Stillwater Smackits. My wife got a pretty rock on top at the same time I landed a 24-inch red jigging. We caught a couple more reds and my son's girlfriend got one. Reds came on a 6" chartreuse BKD hotrodded with red garlic dye on a half-ounce jig head. Samantha got hers on a 5" Gulp jerk shad - ginger hair, ginger fish, just seems fitting. Lots of 2- & 3-pound blues in the mix and we kept 6 for the smoker. Tonight there were breakers all over Eastern Bay all the way above St. Michaels and lots more north of Poplar but all small. I was rigged and ready for spanish but didn't see a single one. I counted 36 boats anchored between Kent Point and Poplar Point. Fishing was better yesterday than today since south wind killed the outgoing.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice Shawn,I really would like to catch a redfish up here like you,I saw 3 Spanish jump from where u was fishing at the mouth of the Severn tonight, and they were just out of reach reach of casting distance. I thought it was rare seeing them in such shallow water . We trolled for them today and caught A ton of big blues with the biggest around 26 inches, but no Spanish , the ones I saw jump were less than 10 feet of water but I know they were Spanish,me and a friend caught about 15 keeper rock on top water but still no redfish , however the flounder bite is red hot around where I live if you know what I meen

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice catching. We fished the eastern bay area this morning and found a decent grade of rock on the east side but missed the best tide and they had already fed...frustrating... Still haven't bumped into those reds but I'm making it my mission next time haha. That guy leading the CCA tournament means business!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice Shawn,I really would like to catch a redfish up here like you,I saw 3 Spanish jump from where u was fishing at the mouth of the Severn tonight, and they were just out of reach reach of casting distance. I thought it was rare seeing them in such shallow water . We trolled for them today and caught A ton of big blues with the biggest around 26 inches, but no Spanish , the ones I saw jump were less than 10 feet of water but I know they were Spanish,me and a friend caught about 15 keeper rock on top water but still no redfish , however the flounder bite is red hot around where I live if you know what I meen
Kayak, I think I'm on that same flounder bite you are :thumbup:

Water Fin Fisherman Fluid Sky

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Es fisherman,no I'm talking about doormats . I'm sef not gonna te where but a neighbor of mine got 7 flounder from 2 to 7 pounds a little south of the bridge a few weeks back,we have benn killin them ever since

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Kimbro, You truly live the life of the "rich and famous". Cruise around with beautiful women to all the great dockside eateries and then on the way home slam some great fish that would make a outdoor TV host jealous. Can I be you?:scratchchin3:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Great report Shawn. We found pretty much the same thing on Friday as you. Couple of nice Reds up to 25 inches. They were caught on shoreline and mixed in schools with Rockfish. However, it goes without saying, that Rockfish in your last picture was bigger than anything we caught (No Rock over 26 inches).

ESFisherman - that is one heck of a Flounder.

Pat

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack - not quite. I'm coming down to get in on YOUR lifestyle in a few weeks!

Kayak456 - Look on the ledges for the reds, same spots the stripers like in the spring and fall.

ESFisherman - Nice doormat. I've been getting a few small ones on my jigs, nothing like that.

Thanks, Pat - That's the biggest rock I've caught on top since first of May. Amazing how much cleaner and stronger the fish are that'll take a topwater lure. I always wonder if they're in a different gene pool or something. Or, maybe it's just that stronger healthier fish are more inclined to feed on the surface.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Looking forward to introducing you to the life styles of trailer trash. No beautiful women, some fish and always some good food and beverages.
And a 20' circle in the whole town where you get 1 signal bar on your cell phone. You won't be tweeting any on the water reports down there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome report! Sounds like you could have still entered the tourney and done well close to home. Hopefully the Macs will find there way north this week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We spent Sat on the Honga, S. Marsh and surrounding area catching under size everything. We tried everything... including cut bait (A little LL distraction lured me away) that the blues found. We just finished saying we never see perch down there when I pulled a nice one with a L'il Jimy. Just couldn't buy a decent size fish. Saw more boats than usual, including the yaks. One good thing is the flies were not an issue. Only brought out a can once. Think I'm going to stay up north even if it is crowded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.