Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on bay board few weeks back.Fish an albemarle 24 offshore with waaaaay too many rods for a little boat.I need a rocket launcher to hold at least 8 rods to get them off the deck and clear gunnel holders.Boat is in selbyville de.Do i buy myself from somewhere and have it installed by a welder Or do i pay a welder to make a custom rack all together.Anyone care to share what they reccomend.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
If you can find someone local - IMHO - you'll be better off. Easier to get boat to them - plus close by if any troubles.

Be sure to lay it out with the largest reels you'll use - I would not put anything larger then a 50W up high.

Try to leave some room between reel handles. Each hardtop is different but here is photo of my rod rack on a 27 Grady. Center rigger holder bolts tie into the rod rack.

I also have Lee holders on the hardtop support legs. These are heavy duty clamp on.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Skip you had that custom made per your specs or ordered the holder and had it installed.If custom tho it was a while ago im sure what ballpark price did you pay.Almost every trip we do i take 8-30 wides,4 deep drop rods,4 jigging rods and 4 spinning rods.Gets a little crammed on an overnite loaded 24 footer with 4 guys.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you know the struggle Mike.Even 8 more holders isnt enough but it would help alot.24 footers get small realll quick lol

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
I had mine built around 1998 ( boat is 1997 ) by a local marine welder that has since closed.

I took boat to him and together we laid out the basic design. He pointed out to leave a gap in the center for head clearance - cut me down one rod holder but surely avoided a lot of gashes on forehead of taller crew members.

He then had boat two days - did the bending / welding / dry fitting. I came by to approve the entire rack - then he welded it to the hard top support legs.

The center rigger was there on hard top - it worked perfect to add a center brace.

I weigh about 170 lbs and can swing from it - very well made.

The Lee holders on legs are great - these are easy to put on - just tighten the clamp bolts. I put very thin ( .020 ) pvc sheet under them to allow for easy removal and help stop electrolysis. Commercial pipe insulation warehouse will have it.

By offsetting them slightly - I can fit few extra rods in these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts