Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTOP has reported that rockfish have been put on the Do Not Eat list because of high levels of pcbs. Why they are just doing this now is beyond me. This has been known for years. Especially in the bigger fish as pcbs and Mercury are cumulative in the fish. This is good reason to release those big fish during trophy season instead of eating them, or worse taking a pic and throwing them away. PCBs are some type of industrial waste and the explanation years ago was that the fish were getting them in the northeast not the bay. With this being said it would mean that fish are ok before they become old enough to start migrating from the bay. Anyway this is obviously bad news for the commercial rock fishermen as today's folks take these pollution related stories on foods very seriously. I would like to see some information on what the ingestion of PCBs does to your body. I know I've never heard of anyone being diagnosed with PCB poisoning.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Al, This warning comes from the District of Columbia. This warning pertains to fish caught in DC waters. I have caught rock fish in DC during the Spring shad run. These are migratory fish so I don't know where they are getting the PCB's. They don't seem to stay in DC long enough to ingest that many PCB's. The older and bigger a fish is, the more contaminants they have. PCB's and mercury are stored in the fatty tissue and blood line {dark strip} but heavy metals are stored in muscle. There is no commercial fishery in DC. Blue catfish have been taken off the do not eat list...............Gary

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That was one nasty sick looking rockfish they had pictured in the article.

Ralph M.
Wish-A-Fish Annapolis
S.R.R.K.C.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
So is DC and Maine the only place these contaminated fish are?? Cause i eat rockfish way more than four times a year. More like four times a week.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
So is DC and Maine the only place these contaminated fish are?? Cause i eat rockfish way more than four times a year. More like four times a week.
Stripers migrate from North Carolina to Maine. The Bigger ones migrate more than smaller ones. The smaller ones, ( under legal size) are the safest to eat. They used to be legal in Md. 12in., then 14 in. ,then 18in. ,now 20in. Maybe they're trying to kill Striper fishermen ?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Fear not, when they swim south under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge they are cleansed and free of contaminants. Haven't you seen those sterilizers they installed under the new bridge?

Here's a big wrinkle that just came to light, catfish need to be delivered to food processors LIVE as of March 1, 2016. New FDA rules.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
So many times, I hear folks cheer when politicians talk about closing down the EPA, gutting clean air regs, opposing tighter emission standards for vehicles and coal plants, etc., yet so many of these same folks profess to enjoy the outdoors generally, and fishing in particular. Then they complain when the fish they catch are too contaminated to safely eat. Talk about a disconnect.

I'm not suggesting that anyone on this thread falls into this category. It's just a general observation.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Hey goose, I profess to enjoy the outdoors, and fishing in particular. What I don't like is my taxes being made available to special interest groups who sue my government in their efforts to keep me from enjoying the outdoors that my taxes are being used to keep up. Specifically, the AS, SELC and DOW, in their efforts to eliminate access to fishing those outdoor areas. Some sense of change is needed in THAT part of the system.
About the advisories, I subscribe to the notion that the benefits of eating fish outway the harm....within reason of course.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
BigWill, I believe I've read statements from medical and health orgs that say essential what you say -- that, at least to some degree, you're better off eating fish than abstaining from it.

Regarding the tax money and those organizations, that's quite a non-sequitur. And in any event, what good is access if the place you're accessing is severely diminished because of pollution?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Guess a 2016 study needs to be done, LOL. Who's going to volunteer to eat Rockfish and submit the results, LOL.
The picture of that rockfish is enough to scare many MD folks from eating rockfish. The commercial industry can't be happy about that.

Maybe start a " Rockfish Lives Matter " to get people to do the right thing, LOL.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Everything in moderation. I'm sure everything we eat contains something that is not good for you. There is growth hormones, antibiotics and steroids in chicken, beef and pork. Vegetables, especially leafy greens contain bacteria, salmonella and e coli. I'm sure the threshold for PCB's is set pretty low so you would have to ingest a copious amount to cause problems. And then we have genetically engineered food to deal with. This is what the world has become. It's just getting too crowded...........Gary

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Resident fish, most likely caught mid summer. Most of the Summer fish I catch near NNK have red lesions on them. Disgusting. I wont touch them and We all should be able to heave them in a bucket and Bury them some where. Seems the Colder months the fish look Fat and very healthy and very few have the Summer Lesions. I don't know if those fish all die at some point and sink to the bottom or what. But the warmer Months I have seen some ugly stuff sore wise on the resident fish. I have never caught a fish with sea lice on it that had sores. One of the problems is the Spring RUn all the way up to Fletchers
is when DC lets loose on their Pipes at Little falls. Its like raw sewage released. I've been there and I saw and smelled it personally. Right when the big cows show up to lay their eggs. It a damn mess and it will take a task force of Geniuses to figure this one out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts