Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
OK folks- There's going to be a call in radio show at noon tomorrow on 88.1 WYPR out of Baltimore. You can stream it on the web and get it as a podcast. Candus Thomsen is going to be the guest. A lot of our MD politicians follow this show, if a topic gets a huge buzz they know about it. Feel free to call in tomorrow and make your voices heard. You can be sure the apologists will.
Pat in Joppa

Thursday, February 17
Noon - 1:00 pm
Days after 10 tons of rockfish were discovered in nets illegally anchored in the Chesapeake Bay, more evidence of poaching has been found nearby. How can this practice be stopped and the perpetrators brought to justice? We'll ask our guests, among them, Candy Thomson, outdoors writer for The Baltimore Sun. The Chesapeake Bay is the spawning ground and nursery for 75 percent of the migratory striped bass stock on the coast. Maryland is under continued pressure from the Atlantic states to protect the spawning grounds of this coveted fish and to ensure a sustainable fishery. The rockfish, also known as striped bass, is Maryland’s state fish.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Very easy to listen through the Internet. Google 88.1 and the station should show up. Then select launch WYPR. It plays right through Itunes.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I loved the guy representing waterman saying they are only stealing from themselves and not the public.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gibby Dean from Commercial Waterman just made a really great point.....the illegal nets that are be placed in Maryland waters are the same nets that are legal in VA. Wow. Just wow. If this is their representation, I have no idea how they can have such a strong voice. Well I can, but its really sad. The voice of the Rec and conservation is very clear, well thought out and cogent. This guy, on the other hand, builds no credibility.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Gotta love the argument it's only an assumption that those who set the nets are commercial fisherman.

Might be a rec having one hell of a fish fry.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Gibby Dean stated " the only way to solve this problem is to have the Whaler patrol boats on the water everyday". He also stated "why should poachers have tracking devices when there are rapist and murders on the loose".

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the watermans associations leader was to trying to create support for his organization, he failed miserably!! If this is their leader and supposed to be one of their smartest, I feel sorry for their whole organization. With leadership like that the rockfish will be game fish status before the year is out!! I feel he is completely untrustworthy after listening to him.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Highlight..... Gibby Dean says they should put gps tracking devices on rapists, murders, etc not waterman's boats. Highlight...... Gibby Dean says there is no proof these nets were set by waterman and that the DNR shutting down this fishery is like revoking everyones drivers license because DUI's are up.

Other misleading highlights, Tom O'Connel says this isn't a conservation issue because the stock is "doing very well"

·
Registered
952 Posts
Oh and we don't know how much the recreational catch is so Gibby Dean says concentrate on that and leave us alone.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Tom O'Connell did bring up the grand MSSA re-allocation idea when asked about rockfish receiving gamefish status and how the people of Md that don't have the oppurtunity to fish have a right to there rockfish dinner.

Guess I lost my rights to my Dodo bird dinner.

·
Registered
367 Posts
lol - breaking highlight. Gibby Dean just tried to rebuff the use of tracking devices by asking why they are not put on rapists, murders, and drug dealers as well. WOW!

in all seriousness, the conversation was a bit all over the place - had 5 guests, each vying for air time. Candus, Gibby, DNR rep, Author and Tom O'Connell - MSSA.

Candus kicked it off with a great review of stats. Conversation turned to what the issue was - anchored nets. Author gave perspective on why this was an issue - MD breeding location for stripers. Discussed overfishing in general. Gibby gave perspective of Commercial guys. Then kind of went back and forth but never quite got to where I was hoping it would which is what people can do to help monitor and report the issue or how they can participate in support of the commercial or conservation causes. (well they did, but in the final 30 seconds of the program). It was overall good to hear the topic debated in a local and well listened to forum. Hopefully it is the start of more and more of this debate.

Skip was the only call taken. He tried to comment on how he has witnessed anchored gill nets and that what people are finding are just a tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Damn I wish I could have caught the whole thing not just the last 3rd. Looks like they will put it to podcast but they are running about 10 days behind.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts