Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we have been out basically 3 times since the season opened and really not have caught anything to talk about. We have really only seen 1 boat with any luck and we could not figure out what he was using for bait. We have used live bunker both small and large, live spot, eel, chunk bunker, thrown small bucktails at nite. We heard about some artificial bait of choice but do not believe this. Does anyone have any input or is everyone else going thru these same trials as we are right now.:wacko:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been having the same problems. We've tried everything you have, and even trolled a full spread for a few hours opening weekend. We've hit everywhere from the MMBT to the HRBT to the CBBT--nothing but blues.

I was down at Sunset Boating Center in Hampton yesterday and talked to a guy at the fish cleaning station with a sink full of Rocks and a couple Blues. Must have been 3 of them fishing because there were 6 fish in there. Biggest was 27 inches, a healthy looking fish. He said he was using cut bunker (frozen) at the MMBT. He said the key was getting right up on the pilings. Anywhere off the piling produced nothing but blues.

The only other person I have talked to that has had any success used peelers on the bottom.

They are there, I just think it's still a bit early for it to be "on".

Good luck, ~ Tim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Missing Stripers

Went out aweek ago at night and we tried live bait and jigging and only caught 1 small striper. Boat owner went out night before and caught 1 small striper full of sores and he threw it back. Rep from Virginia Marine Resources met us at dock to check our catch. Said striper fishing was the worst in years. Said they are considering closing Bay season for rest of year!!!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Only striper bite I've seen was during some BIG conditions at the islands where the waves were crashing. They were hitting pencil poppers right in the white water. That was about 2 weeks ago, but nothing much else before or since.

When the cold comes, so will the fish.

-TH

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wife and I went out opening day, 3:00 PM until about 9:00 PM. Fished the JRB. Trolled, casted, NADA. But once we anchored and put out chunks of fresh bunker, it was all we could do to keep up with the 2 lines we had out. Fished the outgoing tide and came home with 4 stripers 24-28". They are there. They just want meat right now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
We have done well the three times we have gone catching fish up to 26" with no problem. Wind Cheaters or 4" White Swirl Tail Grubs on a lead head into the end of the islands from dusk to dark change your retrieval speeds they are finicky. We are also on a bad tide cycle for early evening fishing, catching will pick up in a few days when we get the strong incoming tide during sunset hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We went the first night of the season, caught 5 stripers, 2 before midnight, had to throw back and three after the legal season began. 4 were 22" - 26", the other was 36". I lost another about mid 30" at the boat. Seemed to like white colored baits. We have not done very well since. Fishing the 1st island.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have hit them everytime this year. Right now, we had the best luck with small flies. I know this doesn't help most but they seem to want something very small and white. I can outfish the specrigs everynight right now with my flyrod. If you use 1/8 ounce specrigs, net the fish or you will bend the hooks.

If you throw anything else in the light line, you will end up with a bluefish. It's not worth using plastics.

Jeff Caplan
Tidewater Sensors
757-593-3478

1 - 20 of 25 Posts