Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After fishing in the bay for 10 years I finally caught my goal Rockfish of 45 inches! Now I am very interested in getting a mount. I have no idea where to start. Who does the best job at a fair price? Skin or Fiberglass?

It is amazing to me how much bigger Rockfish get with every Inch or 40 inches! I have caught many many fish from 40 to 43 inches but I could not get a 45 incher until yesterday.

Sykesville
27' Judge Chesapeake
Rhode River

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Jeff,
Call me tomorrow. I gotta place.

Skin mounts perty much don't exist anymore. Fiberglass replicas are the "thing" now.

Jim

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I recently had one done at Coastal Fiberglass Fishmounts. Coastal Fish Mounts 215-887-8604 Mike is the owner. he did a great job for me...very realistic.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rockfish Mounting

I'd like to suggest one for you. McGinnity Marinw Art, LLC
Ph# 717-993-2373
george.mcginnitymarineart.com

They just did my Son's Smallmouth bass. They did a great job and I was talking to him regarding some of the rockfish mounts in his show room. George was telling me that hey do about 350-400 rockfish per year. Beleive me they were great looking. Give them a try and check out hteir web site.

Fishinfever:clapping2::clap:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Trophy Mount

Save yourself time and certainly don't waste your money, George McGinnity In New Freedom, PA. Hands down the best fish Taxidermist in this region!! he has done all my fish. You won't be disappointed, Congradulations!!...:bigfish: CALL GEORGE.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
My suggestion is to go with a fiberglass replica. It will hold up much better over time.

Congrats on your personal best.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'd like to suggest one for you. McGinnity Marinw Art, LLC
Ph# 717-993-2373
george.mcginnitymarineart.com

They just did my Son's Smallmouth bass. They did a great job and I was talking to him regarding some of the rockfish mounts in his show room. George was telling me that hey do about 350-400 rockfish per year. Beleive me they were great looking. Give them a try and check out hteir web site.

Fishinfever:clapping2::clap:
---Highly Recomended --Been using George"s Replica mounts for Charterboat assoc. winners of all species awards in yearly MCBA Tournament APR----Dec.---Have Several in my office that are over 20 yrs old --

--He has a Field of molds to fit any Dementions & has First class Painters --If ya got Kids , take the Family& Your Friends for a Tour of his Plant , Ain't that far , just on the Md., Pa. line --Even a Day in the week would be a "Show & Tell " type trip for the Kids --geo.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Skin Mount

Do not use the skin mount even if you can find a place that will do the skin mount. I have had a skin mount on a rockfish I caught in San Franciso Bay in 1972. The jaw bleeds oil and looks terrible. I talked to someone who does mounts to see if I could get it corrected and he said it will just bleed oil again. Fiberglass is the way to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
replicas that look perfectly real!

I had a rockfish done by b.c.s creations in PA and was amazed by how good of an artist this person is. The fish looks like it had just come out of the water. This person does deer, fish,etc. If your goona get one done, why not get it done by the best.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've seen some really nice looking fiberglass rockfish.
I just wonder why they cost so much.
-Workmanship, AFTER the fish comes outa a mold --Corvettes are Ugly & plain in assembly --geo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have to disagree with fiber-enthusiasts.
I bought a "real" 43 inch mounted (not mine, it was already mounted; a job that goes a few years back); it looks fabulous!
The fiber version is OK but in my opinon does not really compare to the real thing.
This is the point of view of a person that actually has a good-looking mounted rockfish on the wall and has looked at many fibers out of interest.
I have no experience commissioning taxidermy jobs.
PM/Innovation

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I forget their name but they are always at the Timonium show, they are right over the line in PA and all you do is tell them what kind of fish, length and girth and they usually have a mold that they can use to eat your trophy as well as having a mount for your wall. Real mounts leak and start to look bad years down the road and fiberglass keeps looking great. In fact I think I might get a Seatrout mount made for the 36"ers I got years ago with Capt. George ( not Stormy ) in Del. Bay on I think it was Mike or Mark Robbins boat and his family built the Robbins boats and might also get a Blue fish mount for the 12# - 14#ers that we got on Hillbilly Boaters boat at CBBT a few years ago.

Looks like it was Mcginnitys

·
1,295 Posts
I'll seond, third, or whatever McGinnities in New Freedom, PA.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Tom's Tropicals in Perry Hall still does skin mounts I believe. I have a striper he did from 1993 and the thing looks like it will swim off the wall - no issue at all after 15 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts