Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have fished for many years and never keep any fish I have always gave them away so others could eat them because I did not think I would like the taste. I went fishing Tuesday and the boat got a limit so I decided that I would try some.Here are the pictures now I am HOOKED:thumbup: I useed 1 piece of rock soaked it in ice water and salt, removed it from the water dried it off lemone pepper on both sides and a couple pieces off butter on top of the fish wraped in alumin foil placed it on the grill for 15 mins at 425 removed it and ate the whole thing it was verry good:thumbup: If you guys have any recipes that you would like to share please do or have any ways to tweek what I made please share I have been missing out on eating fish for many years. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Scroll way down to the Tidalfish Recipe Forum and make those incredible striper cakes. They're great and just about the only way I eat rockfish. (well most of the time) You can really get creative with spices. I like to leave out the most of old bay and use dill weed and a little dry mustard.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I'll second the Striper Cake recipe. Once you try it - you'll never toss any back.

TFer Yardbird posted it.

Incredible Striper Cakes

These are incredible! Taste better than crab cakes! I modified this recipe from a local resturant's award winning crab cake recipe. My family has been enjoying it for over twenty years. Its great with any local catch. Measurements are approximate. I just estimate and ajust oil, crackers and seasoning to taste. Double or triple recipe as desired.

1# fresh or frozen fish (I use striper mainly but sea bass, tile, flounder and tog in any combination will taste great too)
1 egg
tablespoon of Old Bay or eqivalent
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
4 tablespoons olive oil

Poach (Boil) the fish, drain and break up into lumps. Let cool.
In a separate bowl mix egg, oil and Old Bay.
Crush crackers by pushing two ends of sleeve towards each other, carful not to make a mess! Sleeve will open slightly to vent the air and the crackers turn to crumbs instantaneously if you do it right.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Make cakes or small balls and then either broil or fry. If you pan or deep fry, dip in egg wash and then flour or panko crumb. If you broil, drizzle a little more olive oil or melted butter.

Enjoy!​

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Making me HUNGRY! How lucky are we to live where you can catch two of the best tasting dishes anywhere, rockfish and crabs?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Stolen/modified from Swhit on page 5 of the recipe board. My snooty in-laws call it "restaurant quality or better" Need pans like in a real kitchen that you can throw in the oven.
1. works best with bigger fillets, greater than 1/2", the front cut of the fish near the shoulder is best.
2. preheat oven to 425
3. lightly season both sides of fish with old bay, not a lot. Or just s&p.
4. Get olive oil shimmering in pan, enough to cover.
5. Put fillets in pan and sear first side about 4 minutes or so.
6. Flip fish to other side, let go about a minute.
7. You have a choice, cup of white wine, cup of chicken stock, (wife likes this best) or 1/2 cup of each. Pour into pan on side, bring back to a boil.
8. Stick in oven for 10 minutes.
9. Plate each piece of fish, leave juices in pan.
10. Add 1/4 cup of cream and 1T of Dijon mustard to pan, add more chicken stock or white wine if needed.
11. Pour sauce around fish, serve with rice or noodles to combine with sauce.

Other one the whole family likes is "candied rockfish" or "poorman's lobster"
1. Cut fish into 1" to 2" chunks.
2. Bring a quart of water with 1/4 cup water to a boil.
3. Put in chunks of fish, ( I usually use about a pound)
4. Bring back to a boil.
5. Turn off burner, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
6. Serve with old bay, lemon, vinegar, broccoli, potatoes, boiled onions. (forgot, can put onions in with fish before) It's like crab when done.
Let me know how you like them! Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts