Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all!

My dad's an avid saltwater fly fisher, mostly out of NY. I've told him the rockfish can be pretty awesome here out of VA Beach if you time it right this time of year. I've not fished it, so I'd like to know if all the action this time of year is down deep, or if there's topwater action too. If it's all down deep and you need rigs to get to them, then flyfishing won't work; if it's on the surface and we're "following the birds," etc., then it probably would.

Any info on rockfishing out of VA Beach in Jan or Feb--or anywhere else they're hitting that time of year--would be much appreciated. We don't have a boat, so we'd expect to get a guide.

Many thanks and Happy New Year once again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
You want to take both types of rods on some days it can be really good with big fish hitting the water all around your boat but most of the time you have to troll for them.I have a couple of guides i can put you on depending on how many people you want to take.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm no expert but I always carry a 10 weight onboard. This time of year Look just north of the cbbt west side bay for birds usually smaller class of fish hanging out. Lastly, cover some water and blind cast different flies with and without weighted lines1-3 miles due eat of high rise outgoing tide. best of luck

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Try Matty J Fishing Charter

You may want to talk to Tommy Mattioli - Matty J Charter. He is an avid fly fisherman and light tackle guide. He is originally from NYC and has clients from all over the US that join him for rock fishing on the fly. His phone number is: 804 314 2672.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia
Stripers Forever

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check the Fly Fishing board on this site.... I strictly fly fish down here. If the fish are deep, a 9 or 10wt with a 450 or 500 gr. line is the way to go. Have seen days when the fly-fisherman are hauling fish while trollers are out for boat rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts